Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 months ago I bought a 2006 LCF Ford 185WB, 19,500 GVW, 21Ft. aluminum bed (roll-back) truck. The truck never towed or hauled vehicles and was lightly loaded or empty for most of its 130,000 mi during it's previous 3 years. I'm told that the 4.5 is a 6.0 with 2 less cylinders. Presently, I'm losing coolant, no white smoke or antifreeze in the oil and no visible leaks. Do the 4.5s also have EGR cooler , and head gasket problems?Tons of parts and kits seem to be avaiable for the 6.0 s ,are any made for a 4.5 and by which vendor ? I am new to the powerstroke nation site, and while I've owned a number of Ford F-series trucks (all gas) this is my first diesel. Thanks, I'd appreciate any advice.

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
They are very similar in desighn however very diffrent. they have a countershaft in the motor to balance it, Some parts are interchangeable, Yes they do have an egr cooler, but if you arent seeing white smoke i would say you have headgasket issues, and are blowing coolant?

What part of the country are you in?

Travis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Travis, thank you for responding. I live in central PA. The truck runs smoothly and looks nearly new, no rust, unusual for this part of the country, but since the truck is " totally worthless " in the snow it probably wasn't run much during winter. I have two friends, both have International 4300's DT466 set up similarly to this Ford; both have driven my 4.5 recently and seemed impressed with its performance especially considering the small displacement. There presently is no liquid, or antifreeze smell coming out of the exhaust and no continuous smoke( white black or blue) while driving or idling. However, "occasionally" (after reaching operational temperature) the truck has puffed white smoke(for 5 to 10 seconds)if it has been shut off and then restarted some minutes later. It has lost approximately 1 gal. of coolant in last 600 miles. Since its a tilt cab its easy to service and adding coolant is very easy. I like the truck especially for the price I paid, and plan on keeping it. Therefore I'm trying to figure out if there is something wrong & should I continue to add coolant & run the truck as is?

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
Does it look like thier has been coolant blowing out of the coolant resivoir cap, Usually shows sighns of whitish residue or water marks around the resivoir cap? This is usually a sighn of headgaskets or faulty egr cooler.

the few puffs here and thier kinda make me think it might be egr cooler related though. Like it is burning it when the egr valve opens up.

If you show no sighns of blowing coolant, i would look into replacing the egr cooler, I am not sure if you would be able to use one of the delete kits readily available for a 6.0 i would have to look at em a little more closely, or you could contact bulletproof coolers and see if they could rebuild yours with thier processes

Travis

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Travis, Because the truck is not used daily & additionally it will be quite easy to access the cooler, exhaust, & all parts of the motor, as compared to the F-series, I'll look into replacing or possibly deleting the cooler. I will contact Bulletproof Coolers, GoGo Diesel, & others to start with & see if that solves the problem. If not, at least I have that weak link fixed.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Before you condemm anything pop the egr valve out and see if it is wet.I doubt its head gaskets been working on lcf's for 3 years now and never had to put head gaskets on one.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
That is one powerstroke I have never had experience with I would like to see one tore down. Do they run the same injectors as the 6.0s? And off topic Andy youve been MIA check your phone msgs. Lol

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
i have had the plan for one in my ranger since they come out, good luck finding one with all the wiring etc for a reasonable price, thier isnt alot out on the road, and even fewer in the junkyard, and they all want stupid money for em, On a side not, i talked to dennise perry about tuning one if i did put it in my ranger and he said that when he was in pretty tight with ih they warned him against tuning on them, supposedly with the counter balance shaft in em, they are already tuned to the limits of safety on them!!

Travis

·
Registered
700 Posts
i have had the plan for one in my ranger since they come out, good luck finding one with all the wiring etc for a reasonable price, thier isnt alot out on the road, and even fewer in the junkyard, and they all want stupid money for em, On a side not, i talked to dennise perry about tuning one if i did put it in my ranger and he said that when he was in pretty tight with ih they warned him against tuning on them, supposedly with the counter balance shaft in em, they are already tuned to the limits of safety on them!!

Travis
Depending on how far you wanted to go with them i know there a landscaping company there local that has one with a 20 ft mowing bed and on a rainy day you can have some serious fun doesn't even hesitate to break the tires lose. Even stock in a ranger i would like to see them perform.

·
2Cruel
1,645 Posts
yeah i planed on doing it regardless it has to be better then the motor i have in it now, they have the 5r110 in em,

Travis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts