Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Romans 1:16
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to get an exhaust system ordered to put on. MBRP has a few that I have been looking at. My question lies in the entire upgrade itself. Will the 4 or 5" bolt up to my stock manifold? What is the purpose of upgrading your exhaust pipe if the air is still restricted directly out of the motor? I feel like it won't do any good to upgrade although I have heard it can increase mpg by a mile or two per gallon. I understand it will reduce back pressure, but what is that exactly? If there is a 3.5" manifold exit to the exhaust pipes, how will it help the flow of air from the engine. Is the back pressure not going to be the same seeing as the manful diameter never changed?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
You realize that the exhaust hooks up to the exgast flange on the turbo. You're right though exhaust don't do anything beneficial, the millions that have been sold were strictly by marketing.

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
Bruce, I must disagree with you. On my 2002, I got it with stock exhaust. I installed 5" pipe after the stock downpipe, felt a bit of difference acceleration wise, and all through the rpm range, and turbo spooled quicker. Eventually swapped to a 4" downpipe, and it shifted my power band around slightly. I'm not saying there are any HUGE gains from aftermarket exhaust, but seat of the pants meter doesn't lie, and I'm a very skeptical on things like that, and am not just "bought off" by what other people say makes a difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I noticed a very small difference in acceleration, and maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg and ive got 4" turbo back

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You realize that the exhaust hooks up to the exgast flange on the turbo. You're right though exhaust don't do anything beneficial, the millions that have been sold were strictly by marketing.
Well, to be completely honest, I did not know that. This is my first diesel truck and first vehicle with a turbo on it period. I looked up what you said about it bolting up to the turbo. This being my first rodeo, I would assume that the exhaust manifolds tie in together and it becomes one pipe through the turbo? In that case, the diameter is still going to be the same until it hit the aftermarket exhaust that bolted onto the turbo flange?

Sorry guys, I don't mean to sound like an idiot. I'm more of an electrical performance and steering any suspension guy than an engine performance guru. I know enough to keep my vehicles running, but the diesel world is mandarin to me for now.

·
the stryker god
3,659 Posts
Exhaust exits the head, travels through the exhaust manifolds, through the up pipes, into the turbo, spins the turbine wheel, exits the turbo and travels through the exhaust to exit the rear of the truck. A 4" exhaust has almost a 25% greater volume than the stock exhaust. It helps lower egt and backpressure

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exhaust exits the head, travels through the exhaust manifolds, through the up pipes, into the turbo, spins the turbine wheel, exits the turbo and travels through the exhaust to exit the rear of the truck. A 4" exhaust has almost a 25% greater volume than the stock exhaust. It helps lower egt and backpressure
Good to know. I think I am gonna go with a 4" for financial sake. You in the Nashville area? Noticed your location says 615. Is the area code here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts