Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a tap for the third brake light somewhere on the back of the truck outside the cab?

·
Registered
797 Posts
It's actually inside the engine compartment on the driver's side (at least it was for the '94 models). A white connector labelled CHMSL, it may be a light green wire. I think it was halfways down the fender.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would not suggest tapping that wire for anything, as that circuit is very finicky. It ties in to the cruise and when the bulb burns out makes weird things happen.

Dave

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well, I'm running the brake light on my camper shell from that wire, haven't had any problems with cruise, but i agree that the cruise seems to be awfully finicky if the 3rd brake light circuit is out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
It will only work until you use that burned out bulb. Usually if you signal left turn and the cruise kicks off then that means the right turn signal bulb is out. Right turn signal kicking it off means the left one. This is on about 90 % of the trucks. The other ones work the other way. All 94 to 97 OBS trucks work like this though when a bulb is bad on the back it will kick the cruise off when you use it.

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
that odd cause my cruise still worked when I had a burned out bulb in my 3rd brake light. when I had the cruise set and passing cars on the high way(didnt know it at the time but my left bulb was burned out) my cruise was still working whenever I hit either the right or left turn signal when passing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Something is wired weird on yours. Maybe Uhaul or someone got into your wiring for a trailer connector or something. Mine doesn't do it when I have the trailer hooked up or the slide in camper on and I burn a bulb but by itself it will. All others I've worked on are like that tool.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Those bone heads use cheap clip on wire splicers. I've had to replace so many of those at work and repair the wiring it's unreal. Don't ever let people use those on your truck unless you want problems with corroded wires later on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts