Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the 38r has a hook-up to connect to the truck's cooling system?

I know the Garrett instruction manual does mention something about a catch basin for coolant, but then I don't think there are any steps of the instructions that actually deal with connecting a coolant line.

Thanks for any help.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
No it does not.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
It bolts right in place of the stock turbo. It is cooled by the engines oil that passes through it, just like the stock turbo.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought.

Is there anything involved in coolant lines at all during the install? Do you need to disconnect any coolant lines to get the turbo in?

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
nope, nothing with coolant lines. You will disconnect the air intake tube from teh turbo, the intake spider, the uppipe (from the exhaust on back of turbo/motor) and the down pipe (exhaust leaving turbo on passenger side). Also the little accuator arm for the exhaust backpressor, and 2 bolts on the top of the turbo. It really goes fairly quick and pretty cut and dry. once you are in there you will see how simple it actually is. Just make sure you spray some PB plaster on all the clamps the day before or morning of, it will help a LOT.

·
<-- it's like that
6,567 Posts
Thanks for the replies, that's what I thought.

Is there anything involved in coolant lines at all during the install? Do you need to disconnect any coolant lines to get the turbo in?
Nope, nothing.

The 38R is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock turbo. Simply disconnect the up-pipe collector, downpipe, and intake tube from the turbo. Unbolt the turbo and pull it out. The new turbo bolts in exactly the same way.

With a new 38R, you'll probably want to load the wastegate actuator.

Here's some instructions for removing the stock turbo and installing the 38R: http://67.19.132.3/dieselinnovations/www/techfiles/gtp38r_installation_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope, nothing with coolant lines. You will disconnect the air intake tube from teh turbo, the intake spider, the uppipe (from the exhaust on back of turbo/motor) and the down pipe (exhaust leaving turbo on passenger side). Also the little accuator arm for the exhaust backpressor, and 2 bolts on the top of the turbo. It really goes fairly quick and pretty cut and dry. once you are in there you will see how simple it actually is. Just make sure you spray some PB plaster on all the clamps the day before or morning of, it will help a LOT.
Nope, nothing.

The 38R is a direct bolt on replacement for the stock turbo. Simply disconnect the up-pipe collector, downpipe, and intake tube from the turbo. Unbolt the turbo and pull it out. The new turbo bolts in exactly the same way.

With a new 38R, you'll probably want to load the wastegate actuator.

Here's some instructions for removing the stock turbo and installing the 38R: http://67.19.132.3/dieselinnovations/www/techfiles/gtp38r_installation_instructions.pdf
Cool, thanks for the replies. Again, I didn't think any cooling lines were involved. The instructions just threw me off mentioning a catch basin for coolant as one of the "tools needed". I'm sure it's just part of the same instructions they use for a lot of different turbos.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Did you get new o-rings? I would recomend replacing them while you are in there.

And nice link pocket, definitly very good instructions there.

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
Ahh, good stuff. Make sure you get 2 sets of o-rings then. The pedestal to motor and turbo to pedastal both use the same pair of o-rings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts