Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
thanks for that insight DP-TunerTech. Sounds like i would be much better off going H2E. If money is tight, then I'll get the non-moded and mod it down the road.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
the qssb is alot newer, ok to the 7.3 world
but it can be modded as well. it is suppose to spool up quicker then an h2e .
there is only a few of them on here that i have seen so far, all quite happy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We started offering the QSSB turbocharger clear back in 2002 as a direct replacement for the H2E. The H2E is a great little turbo but we knew we could build something that could spool better on the bottem end and still support that kind of horsepower. The QSSB flows about the same amount of air cfm wise as the H2E, but it will spool a couple hundred rpms quicker and do it with lower overall drive pressures. We can actually keep it under 1:1 clear up to 35-38psi boost with Stage I's. That price on our website does include the entire Hypermax mount kit, so you would recieve everything needed to install it. The QSSB is a great turbo for the 400hp range and excellent in a towing application.

We also offer a larger version of the QSSB, we call it the GQSSB, it's basically the same turbocharger with a different compressor wheel and some work done on the compressor housing. It flows 1150-cfm and spools very easy, great for a daily driver and towing truck, but has the top-end air to support 500hp. For your Stage II's, I'd recommend going with this version of our Quick Spool. With the right tuning, it can spool like stock while running much lower EGT's and drive pressures.

00Rich runs this GQSSB turbo on his truck along with our Stage II's and Terminator pumps and has dynoed right near 480hp with it.

·
Let'er Buck!
1,687 Posts
We also offer a larger version of the QSSB, we call it the GQSSB, it's basically the same turbocharger with a different compressor wheel and some work done on the compressor housing. It flows 1150-cfm and spools very easy, great for a daily driver and towing truck, but has the top-end air to support 500hp. For your Stage II's, I'd recommend going with this version of our Quick Spool. With the right tuning, it can spool like stock while running much lower EGT's and drive pressures.

00Rich runs this GQSSB turbo on his truck along with our Stage II's and Terminator pumps and has dynoed right near 480hp with it.
How does the GQSSB compare to the Modded H2E with low end spool, egt's, drive pressures, etc?

·
Registered
242 Posts
For your application, I would vote for the 38r. It will bolt right into the stock location (for 99.5+), and it will be plenty of turbo for 475hp+, so there's room for you to upgrade injectors to some mild hybrids (~238/80). It also spools as well as a stock turbo with a low boost threshold (great for towing).

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
For your application, I would vote for the 38r. It will bolt right into the stock location (for 99.5+), and it will be plenty of turbo for 475hp+, so there's room for you to upgrade injectors to some mild hybrids (~238/80). It also spools as well as a stock turbo with a low boost threshold (great for towing).
:whs:

I dont think anything else out there that supprorts 500hp spools like a 38r does.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a '97 OBS so it won't be a direct bolt in upgrade. Knowing that would you still go with the 38R?

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
I have a '97 OBS so it won't be a direct bolt in upgrade. Knowing that would you still go with the 38R?
i was in the same situation with my e99. i went with an h2e mount and the GQ turbo for my hybrids. i didnt want to be limited to one turbo and i had to change everything anyway. my initial drive with the GQ was amazing! slightly more laggy on the bottom end than the stocker but it kept the power rolling all the way up! i think with some tuning and tweaking the lag will be gone. if you wat options, go h2e mount and talk to the turbo providers. they can get you right where you wanna be with your mods. unfortunatley, my truck is down right now for unrelated issues. once it's fixed up, i plan on getting to the track for a real comparison. then some tuning.. :D

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
In that case, I would jump right to the H2E.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Posted by: WIDE OPEN PERFORMANCE
We started offering the QSSB turbocharger clear back in 2002 as a direct replacement for the H2E. The H2E is a great little turbo but we knew we could build something that could spool better on the bottem end and still support that kind of horsepower. The QSSB flows about the same amount of air cfm wise as the H2E, but it will spool a couple hundred rpms quicker and do it with lower overall drive pressures. We can actually keep it under 1:1 clear up to 35-38psi boost with Stage I's. That price on our website does include the entire Hypermax mount kit, so you would recieve everything needed to install it. The QSSB is a great turbo for the 400hp range and excellent in a towing application.

I am confuse on how youa re rating the power capability of the QSSB and GQSSB

The QSSB is suppose to be a direct replacement for the H2E/38R but it is listed as for people looking for around 400. Same basic CFM flow as the H2E with faster spool better drive ratio. 37-38psi @ 1:1 This puts it above the 38R as well correct?. So why is it listed for only the 400 range when you have the 38R being taken 100hp higher? There are a number of 38R with 238cc-250cc/80%-200% that are making 475-500 with no special work ( head porting etc) and 530 with some head porting

Then you have the GQSSB. Listed for good in low 500's yet compared to others it seems they would go 550 maybe a bit more.

Are you rating them conservatively for use in the meaty part of the map and not taking it to the edges, basically staying at 1:1?

People that have had them and reported have said the small one beats the H2E and the GQSSB beats a modded H2E noticeably.

To me it seems taken to the max which may mean a bit past 1:1 the QSSB would be right at 500 and the GQSSB should be 550.

A basic question:

If my present configuration using a 38R produced on a dyno 500 HP 1075 tq can I expect if I swap to a QSSB it to produce at least as much and maybe a bit more as it flows a small bit more than a 38R. I would expect that given its said to be a step up from a H2E/38R

I believe that ranks for one of the highest HP made from Stage II on fuel only. DO you know if those injectors were 160cc or 180cc as I have seen stage IIs as both? Either way that is out side the normal range for HP per CC of fuel ratio. Likely the extra air and oil made a big dif. With a 238/100 what do you think maybe 75-85 HP more?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
So... 38R is good for 500+? I thought 450-475 was pretty much the top end for it.
I think people have hit it and with some head porting as Big Stroker has taken it 520 and I think it actually has a small bit more if he can get on a dyno not having issues and a good clutch.:poke: The ones with out head porting I think when you get to 500 its not very clean and at the ragged edge but its still doing it and you can see by opening up the heads where some of the restrictions are. But I am far from having lots of experience that is just what I have taken from seeing numbers and what people have posted for pressures.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
It's all about your standards for proper turbo perforamance.

For instance Zame was really quoting hp numbers that would allow that turbo to operate in it's compressor map, not to high of boost, excessive smoke, or high egts. With diesels you can commonly just over speed the heck out of a turbo and still make more hp.

The 38R is a great turbo, up to high 30's of boost. After that it just is being oversped.

Get it?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Yes I get it and that is part of what I was asking about. You see all the time 38r are good to 500 same type stuff with H2E but its not " clean" power. Not as bad as those guys pushing in the 30s out of their stockers with 70+ psi back pressure. Wanted to know if they had pushed theirs turbo similarly and how they did or if others had and reported back,

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Have you seen the back pressure of a gt38r at say 500+ starts to get nasty.
Much better in the h2e/ qssb style. I think that is why di came up with the 42 kits, iirc from a while back. But it takes the right parts and a whole lot of tweakn to get an honest 500+hp, 480 np but 525 etc ...more parts and live tunes, and a lot mo money.

When I have turbo q's
I think bean for h2e, wop for the qssb, di for garret.
Course there is also pius bell jobbies, moores kit, carson, swamps hammer series

And don't rule out - Cary t, bob at dieselsite, matt at gearhead,dennis at itp, who also can prob get any thing you want.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I have decided that I am putting a gauge in for drive pressure as well on this next turbo. I will have no reason to try and push things that hard so I want to keep it very close to 1:1. Matt does my tuning so I give his recommendations considerable weight. Cary is the man I listen to on anything about suspension and steering for sure.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I am confuse on how youa re rating the power capability of the QSSB and GQSSB

Then you have the GQSSB. Listed for good in low 500's yet compared to others it seems they would go 550 maybe a bit more.

Are you rating them conservatively for use in the meaty part of the map and not taking it to the edges, basically staying at 1:1?

People that have had them and reported have said the small one beats the H2E and the GQSSB beats a modded H2E noticeably.

To me it seems taken to the max which may mean a bit past 1:1 the QSSB would be right at 500 and the GQSSB should be 550.

A basic question:

If my present configuration using a 38R produced on a dyno 500 HP 1075 tq can I expect if I swap to a QSSB it to produce at least as much and maybe a bit more as it flows a small bit more than a 38R. I would expect that given its said to be a step up from a H2E/38R

I believe that ranks for one of the highest HP made from Stage II on fuel only. DO you know if those injectors were 160cc or 180cc as I have seen stage IIs as both? Either way that is out side the normal range for HP per CC of fuel ratio. Likely the extra air and oil made a big dif. With a 238/100 what do you think maybe 75-85 HP more?
The QSSB is definitley capable of supporting more than 400hp, couple customers running 450+, but at that level it's smoky on the top end and the egt's will start to climb. That's why we say it's perfect for the 400hp range, it will run clean with no egt problems.

Same goes for the GQSSB, I run it on my personal truck with a very large B-code, haven't had it on the dyno but it should be well north of 500hp. But just the like the QSSB, this GQ model is perfect and happiest at the 450-500hp level. No worries of 1400+ EGT's, great bottem end, and extremely low drive pressures clear up to the 40-42psi range.

Those horsepower suggestions are on the conservative side, as we prefer to run turbos where they are happy, not pushed to their limits. Not only does it make for cooler denser air but the motor is happier.

If you're current combo is already making 500hp, I would suggest the GQSSB, as that's what it was built for. Could you push the QSSB that hard? Yes, but in that 500hp tune it's going to be smokey, while the GQSSB will support that same tune cleanly. Like I said, why push something to it's limits or past?

And 00Rich's stage II's are 180cc I believe with a .010edm nozzle. It did 477hp with a 120 tune from Jody. It was live tuned by Jody last night here at our shop and it's definitley picked up some power, how much would be hard to say, but I think it's got 500hp. It's also a complete stock motor, I think it could be pushed a little harder but they wanted to keep the boost levels within a safe range for the stock head bolts.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
To get 1:1 on a single and make a lot of power you will have to have a laggy ass turbo on the bottom. Trust me I tried that.

Truck killed up top just too bad everyone else was gone already and I was still just sitting there smoking going no where.

I apologize in advance for my drunk posting.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts