Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm deciding on what turbo upgrade i want to do. I've heard a lot of good thing on the 38R and the H2E.

I have stage 2 injectors from rosewood diesel (160 or 180cc cant remember off the top of my head). I will upgrading my tranny and hpop before I do the turbo so i have some time to decide which route i want to go.

Basically this is my work truck/fun toy. I use this truck for towing quite a bit. I usually tow around 15k on a gooseneck. So not real heavy, but not exactly light loads.

So my question is this. How is the 38R for towing applications versus the H2E? I'm thinking the H2E will be better as it glows more air. But has anyone pulled a lot with a 38R

I'm pretty sure I'm NOT going to upgrade my injectors to hybrids or stage 3's down the road (but the bug could bight again and I may want more power). I know the 38R will work well for stage 2's but from what i've read that's about as much as they will handle?

Any insight on these turbos will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pete

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I have not ran an H2E, but I do have a 38R....

The 38R is a great towing turbo as far as I can tell. I have towed some HEAVY loads with the 38R and hybrids and it keeps up well. They are really tough turbos.

Only reason I would say go for the H2E kit is for turbo choices. There are many choices to choose from with that style of turbo.

So 38R if your wanting to save a little money and will not be going with bigger injectors.

H2E kit if you have the coin and there is a chance you will want more power one day. :evil

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not ran an H2E, but I do have a 38R....

The 38R is a great towing turbo as far as I can tell. I have towed some HEAVY loads with the 38R and hybrids and it keeps up well. They are really tough turbos.

Only reason I would say go for the H2E kit is for turbo choices. There are many choices to choose from with that style of turbo.

So 38R if your wanting to save a little money and will not be going with bigger injectors.

H2E kit if you have the coin and there is a chance you will want more power one day. :evil
Thanks.
I guess the H2E is only 6-700 more than the 38R. So whats another 700 more when your already spending a lot of coin right? Saving that money is the real reason why i want to condiser the 38R.

What HP can the 38R support? Is 400 about it's max?

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Trey just put down 530 on a dyno with one I believe. They are good to about 550 id say.... Maybe more with spray :evil

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I put down 520hp and 926tq last year and 516hp and 1121tq this year with my 38r.

They are GOOD turbos and I tow heavy with mine from time to time with no issues. Its all about how good the tuning is

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
geeze 500+ hp with a 38R? That's pretty stout. Sounds like i would have room with the 38R to do some mild hybrids down the road if I wanted to.

What hp will the H2E support?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey big stroker your pretty close to me. I'm in Lizton Indana which is 20 miles west of indy. Maybe 2 hours from you.

Would it be possible to meet up so i can check out the truck? I would like to see what 500 hp is like in these rigs. I've been trying to find someone locally who is doing some mods to thier psd's. I have a 97 OBS auto, but close enough to the same thing to give me an idea.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
hey big stroker your pretty close to me. I'm in Lizton Indana which is 20 miles west of indy. Maybe 2 hours from you.

Would it be possible to meet up so i can check out the truck? I would like to see what 500 hp is like in these rigs. I've been trying to find someone locally who is doing some mods to thier psd's. I have a 97 OBS auto, but close enough to the same thing to give me an idea.
Sure do you ever get over near Muncie or Anderson?

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
The h2e can be modded the gt38r can't,
the h2e can be replaced for 600 the gt38r can't
The h2e will have less bp at 500+
The gt38r bolts on 99.5 and up
The gt38 makes more noise, good for some, bad for others.
The gt38r can use a ebpv. Brake if you want.
Qssb is more similar to the h2e then a garret

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sometimes I wish I would of got the h2e I would of got the new up pipes when I swaped out the stock turbo. The 38r does sound pretty sweet though you could always add a gt47 and have a compound set up.

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
:popcorn:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
The H2E sounds pretty sweet also. Only downside to the 38R, is you are maxed out when you buy it. The H2E can be modded a hundred different ways. The install kit makes it higher initially, but upgrades are cheaper. If you have an early 99, the H2E is about the same.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The h2e can be modded the gt38r can't,
the h2e can be replaced for 600 the gt38r can't
The h2e will have less bp at 500+
The gt38r bolts on 99.5 and up
The gt38 makes more noise, good for some, bad for others.
The gt38r can use a ebpv. Brake if you want.
Qssb is more similar to the h2e then a garret
Anyone know if the QSSB has as many mod options as the H2E?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sometimes I love a lot of turbo noise. then on long trips it can get a little annoying too. but i love it more than hate it.

Sounds like the smarter option would be to go with the H2E. the cheaper way would be the 38R, but may look back and wanna kick myself in the junk for not shelling out the extra dollars for the H2E...

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I have ran both and they are both good turbos and a huge improvement over stock for sure. If I had to buy one of them today I would choose the H2E because it pulled so much better on the upper end. It stayed strong all the way through. I ran a std H2E for a while and then got a modified H2E from Bean and I was very happy with it. In all fairness I am comparing the modified H2E to the 38r and there was no comparison to me. The std H2E was not even close to the turbo the modded H2E was though.

The QSSB seems to be a very good turbo also from what I hear but I have not had personal experience with it. I am sure you will be happy either way but in my case I had the 38r and then went to the modded H2E whereas I wish I would have just went straight on to the modded H2E.

Again, I dont want to discredit the improvement the 38r will get you. Very good turbo also.

I kinda sound like a politician jumping back and forth:D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts