Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, have you ever wondered if you could put 37" tall Military OZ H1 tires on your almost stock SuperDuty? I did. So I tried it. And they Just fit. I used a set of Weld wheels 16.5X10 with a 5" back spacing. The tire are the military surplus Hummer H1 Good Year Wranglers OZ MT. The size is 37x12.50-16.5. They actually measure 36.5 tall and 10" wide across the tread.
The truck only has an add a leaf in the front, and the back is stock. the front tires just barely rub on the back side of the fender well when I turn hard over one way or the other. I'll do a little trimming and they will be perfect. They ride great at 50 psi. They are just a tinny bit louder than that were on it but not enough to be irritating at all. I can turn lock to lock and not rub the leaf springs and the tires have a load rating of something like 3850 lbs at 50 psi per tire. ya just cant beat that. especialy when a set from trailworthyfab.com cost something like $550.00 shipped. Any way i just wanted to show off the trucks new look. Let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i loved my H1's on my old K5 for on road but the suck off road. you can also get those tires on ebay or local craigslist for a lot cheaper than trailworthy fab, i bought my recentered H1 wheels from them but i bought my tires off craigslist for about 120 for all 4 90% tread

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a street truck for the most part. I might cruze the dunes with it this year but only to sight see not to climb the hills or jump it. They ride nice and wear good so I'll run them for a while. I got the locally as well. couldnt bring myself to pay $150+ for shipping.

·
OBS junkie
8,250 Posts
Hope you have a spare or 2. Seen enough of those end up with cracked sidewalls & what have ya from the age.

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
dont drive in light rain, or a dusting of snow... those tires almost cost me my truck and my life more than once on mild roads....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like more trouble than there worth. I have heard that they aren't the best in snow and wet weather but wow. I didn't realize people had that many problems with them. It has been snowy and wet roads since i put them on and I have noticed that they aren't the greatest but haven't had any serious problems. But I will definitely take special care when road conditions are less than perfect. Thanks for the heads up

·
Hood Rich
2,873 Posts
The final straw was basically idling towards an intersection, starting to slow down, and nothing happened. There was a car in front of me in my lane already fully stopped. He saw I wasnt going to stop before I hit him. It was a redlight camera intersection and he said #### it and went through it. Thank god he bit the bullet bc he woulda been forced into the intersection anyway.... It was only a light dusting of snow

after that I dropped $3100 on rims and tires and never looked back... truck rode better, better handling, and ultimately safer... Mine werent bald, they had more than half tread on them, very meaty.... I'd only run them in the summer, but I sold them first offer I got...

·
Registered
12 Posts
this came up in a search i was doing so i thought i would contribute. i have these tires on my crew f350 and love them even during the winter months.

heres why. i took them down to the local truck tire shop and had them siped. i have never had a tire with better ice and snow traction than these before or since then.

sorry about the dead thread revival just thought it was a worthy contribution.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Ha I just saw this too and when I had them on my 02 they worked great on wet roads at 70mph I never had a problem but snow they were only good in deep stuff over 3 inches. They wore out fast at highway speeds though and had to rotate them every 2000 miles or they chopped badly on the front. Been running bfg 35s for 2 years and no rotating at all.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I've been running them for 8 months now. ZERO issues, and I drive in far worse conditions and far more HP then most of the guys bitching.

I will be running them for now until I cant get them.

·
Veggiestroke
61 Posts
I've been running mine about 9 months and have no complaints. They drive better on the road and on sand than my mud grapplers ever did, even though those are the opposite of sand tires. They do decent in mud and clear decently. Mine are the 37" Baja TAs, they make alot of variations and this one seems like it's starting to become the favorite of the groups that use them.

The 36" ones suck, unfortunately most people confuse them with the true 37". And at that not all 37" variations are made the same.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
I've been running mine about 9 months and have no complaints. They drive better on the road and on sand than my mud grapplers ever did, even though those are the opposite of sand tires. They do decent in mud and clear decently. Mine are the 37" Baja TAs, they make alot of variations and this one seems like it's starting to become the favorite of the groups that use them.

The 36" ones suck, unfortunately most people confuse them with the true 37". And at that not all 37" variations are made the same.
The 36's ones are bias ply... and getting harder to find anyway (if you were dumb enough to look for them)...

I want to try the MTR's next time...

·
Veggiestroke
61 Posts
The 36's ones are bias ply... and getting harder to find anyway (if you were dumb enough to look for them)...

I want to try the MTR's next time...
The MTRs do look pretty nice, they just have alot of grooves in them that would seem to hold more clay than the bajas. Gotta give them props though, they look like the best snow tire although that isn't saying much, nor do I drive in any snow.

But at the rate mine are wearing (un-noticeble after 15,000 miles), I'll have to worry about dryrot and blowouts before they go bald.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've been running the mtr's for awhile now. They are farrrrrrr better than the mt/oz. They seemed a little extra slippery in the rain though.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Far better in what way?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts