Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 f250.It has a bean diesel 6position with 4in exhaust and cold air intake. Nothing big but plenty of power for me. I do a little bit of towing. Nothing more then a 3/4 ton truck. I'm wanting to put a lift on it. Either a 4in and 35s or 6in and 37s but not sure about the power loss. I'm not wanting to regear it so not sure what to go with. I live in West Virginia so I got a lot of hills. All opinions needed!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Go with the 4 inch and 35's. Thats what I have and it still tows great.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Its really a matter of preference. I have an 8 inch and 37s with stock 3.73s. The truck has an exhaust and intake and a mild mild mild tune. Still tows just fine.

Either way you go you should have a trans temp and pyro gauge because the larger tires and loss of gear makes it easier to over heat these. You will also need to get a drop hitch, depending on what you are towing, you might be able to buy one, I had to have mine made.

Benefit of the 35s: a little cheaper to lift, much cheaper for tires, easier to get into and out of, less loss of power due to lighter tires and less gear reduction.

Benefit of the 37s: Truck is bigger than most others on the road, probably because of all the benefits I stated above, more ground clearance if you drive off road.

I guess I just proved that 35s is a smarter choice, but I still love my 8 inch with 37s, its your preference. Good luck

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I have a 4" lift on 33's. I am going to go to 35's next tire change. Anything more than that may get annoying if you drive it daily or tow a lot. Goneracin, I imagine you have quite a hitch set up to tow that travel trailer.:ford:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Lucky for me I have a friend who owns a steel building company so he built me an 11 inch drop for a 2 inch ball for my old trailers. Then when I bought the travel trailer I told him to build me a bigger one for the bigger 2 5/16 ball. I made the mistake of telling him to make it unbreakable. It is all 1 inch plate steel and weighs about 60 pounds. But it gets the job done. working on putting on the sway control next

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
I have 4 inch and 3.73 gears and run both 35s and 37s. The 35s pull hills a bit easier then the 37s but not a huge difference. With youd be fine with 35s or 37s with not towing huge amounts of weight. You might want to get a 6.0 tranny cooler first since the weight and added tire size your tranny is going to need more cooling as it will run hotter especially towing with those size tires.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Good point, I added a Tru cool max (I think, it was so long ago) transmission cooler right up front. Transmission never is more than 70 or so above ambient temperature, even towing in the summer through the little mountains we have up here in the north east

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
4" and 37's... I've towed from one end of the country to the other without issue.

·
Bobs 7.3
2,852 Posts
Mine are a 4.50 back space and just trimmed the front lower black plastic under the bumper about a one inch forward slant and I was fine with that backspacing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I wish I knew my backspacing, I'll measure next time a rim is off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.