Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy local to me that is interested in running my old hybrid 45 on a carbed 350 chevy motor.

How much different is the exhaust output volume between a diesel and a gasser? How big of a gate is needed to keep this charger at 6-10psi? Is this done by gating in combination with bov's or can you get by with just a gate?

Another questions is will the carb be able to supply enough fuel to the engine at 6-10psi without leaning it out and burning it up? How hot can the EGT's run on a gas motor?

A lot of questions, but we can buy these motors for nothing and he wants to play with some easy quick power. Thanks for any input as I am in the dark on gassers.

·
Crazy Redneck
867 Posts
I have a guy local to me that is interested in running my old hybrid 45 on a carbed 350 chevy motor.

How much different is the exhaust output volume between a diesel and a gasser? Alot less, they have RPM.

How big of a gate is needed to keep this charger at 6-10psi? 45 to 50mm is a good starting point.

Is this done by gating in combination with bov's or can you get by with just a gate? BOV on a gasser is so the air has somewhere to go when the throttle plate snaps shut.

Another questions is will the carb be able to supply enough fuel to the engine at 6-10psi without leaning it out and burning it up? Lots of tunning required to keep from going lean.

How hot can the EGT's run on a gas motor? My NA BBC idled at 650 degrees, Would see 1600+ on a full throttle run.

A lot of questions, but we can buy these motors for nothing and he wants to play with some easy quick power. Keep playing untill you get it right.

Thanks for any input as I am in the dark on gassers.
I separated your post and answered after each.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks uncool.

The tuning will be where I am worthless. I can get it mounted in there for him and he will have to find someone that knows about tuning.

He said he wanted 50psi like mine and close to the same power! haha I told him 10psi would prolly make as much power as mine does. 6psi is a good safe level for a stock 350 correct?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Im not 100% sure on carbs but I do know that you will need a wastegate and a BOV. They make carbs that will flow enough fuel just make sure you have a good enough setup. You dont need top of the line just a good setup. Also you will prolly want a new fuel pump to keep up. Walbro 255 should get the job done. a 44mm wastegate should work but bigger cant hurt you at all. gassers dont read EGTs like we do. They use the motor temp.
Did i get all your questions answered?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Thanks uncool.

The tuning will be where I am worthless. I can get it mounted in there for him and he will have to find someone that knows about tuning.

He said he wanted 50psi like mine and close to the same power! haha I told him 10psi would prolly make as much power as mine does. 6psi is a good safe level for a stock 350 correct?
I dynoed an EFI 350 running a rear mount turbo @ 6psi, it put down 520rwhp. How much power does he want?

And I would suggest a wideband gauge to check the air/fuel ratio...

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dynoed an EFI 350 running a rear mount turbo @ 6psi, it put down 520rwhp. How much power does he want?
That will do plenty to break his tranny lol.

He thought since I had 50psi he needed the same. Would have been funny to set it up like mine haha. I don't know gassers but I know it don't need 50psi. LOL

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

And I would suggest a wideband gauge to check the air/fuel ratio...
That is a good point, wasn't there a 6.whatever 350/diesel chevy motor at one time with a turbo.....6.2 or something. I could just find the mount off it and put it on his 350 and save some custom headers and other headaches.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
That will do plenty to break his tranny lol.

He thought since I had 50psi he needed the same. Would have been funny to set it up like mine haha. I don't know gassers but I know it don't need 50psi. LOL
Not saying his motor will do 520, just showing what is possible. This was a newer 350 from a 5.7 GTO. Also this car had issues blowing intake manifold gaskets once the turbo was installed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don’t have a lot of time on SBC Chevy’s but I have done a ton of 2-stroke and 4-stroke sled motors.

What we do is run a 1:1 rising rate FPR and at idle set it at 3 psi. Then as boost comes on your fuel pressure come up. You also need to add boost pressure to float bowls to pressure rise the float bowls. Other wise the minute you go over fuel pressure you will blow fuel back into the float bowls.

Once you get it set up you will find that you actually need to lean down the main jets as blowing thru the carbs is more efficient then sucking thru them. I think carbs are easier to tune then EFI but when your changing large amount of temp or altitude EFI is the way to go.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is a good point, wasn't there a 6.whatever 350/diesel chevy motor at one time with a turbo.....6.2 or something. I could just find the mount off it and put it on his 350 and save some custom headers and other headaches.
Some 6.5 Chevys had turbos. The old 5.7 GM Diesel was a 350 Oldsmobile block. No turbos. The things had a hard enough time staying together N/A:doh:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some 6.5 Chevys had turbos. The old 5.7 GM Diesel was a 350 Oldsmobile block. No turbos. The things had a hard enough time staying together N/A:doh:
I thought there were some aftermarket turbos for the 5.7. Maybe it was marine applications or something for the 6.5 idk, not a chebby guy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought there were some aftermarket turbos for the 5.7. Maybe it was marine applications or something for the 6.5 idk, not a chebby guy.
The problem with the 5.7s is almost every head is cracked. GM actually had "acceptable crack" specifications or something like that. Basically, a crack could be so big and still be good to go. They also had something like 22.5:1 compression. And they had more problems popping head gaskets than a Powerstroke pushing 60psi with stock head bolts. Nice part about them is that stock small block Olds gas parts swap into place nicely:bowfast:

·
Registered
135 Posts
The problem with the 5.7s is almost every head is cracked. GM actually had "acceptable crack" specifications or something like that. Basically, a crack could be so big and still be good to go. They also had something like 22.5:1 compression. And they had more problems popping head gaskets than a Powerstroke pushing 60psi with stock head bolts. Nice part about them is that stock small block Olds gas parts swap into place nicely:bowfast:

No.

·
ARMY bound
6,990 Posts
:doh: WTF are you smoking?

·
Lovin the Tuna
8,353 Posts
:whs:

:whs:

You two beat me to it... :confused: Dont know wtf he is talking about lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
What am I smoking? I'm smoking that we have three of the blocks. All had head gasket issues. Two on the floor in the shop with the large lifter bores (.921) and one in the tractor with the small lifter bores (.842) that's currently 434 cubic inches.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts