Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Freightliner with a 3406C (fully mechanical) CAT, 3ZJ serial #. It is a factory 350hp motor and was gone through at some point not that long before I bought it. I'm hauling about 71k, and the more I drive it the more I realize how underpowered it is. I had a local Cat mechanic do some work on it and turn it up some while he was there (advanced timing, adjusted fuel), and other than being able to hear a little more timing knock I can't tell a difference (still no smoke).
Since then I've done some research and apparently the C models had a diff. injector pump that is harder to get fuel out of. Is that correct? If so can someone give me some pointers on how to get some more power out of this? I'd rather not get into changing turbos (yet), and don't have a pyro, but any power gains I can get will help. Thanks,

·
Registered
434 Posts
that might be a peec engine. I'm not very familiar with them hands on, but he Peec engine is a hybred injection pump. not one of Cats best inventions.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Find a Cat "Dealer" who owns and performs dyno's. At a authentic Caterpillar shop, the tech's have to be "Par" certified, which means u have to have a clue and go through a bunch of training to run the dyno.... I was 'Par' certified back when i worked at Martin Tractor, Now Foley Tractor in Topeka KS.... It was not an easy program! Back to the point. I Par' dyno records everything possible with your exact engine, fuel rate specs, boost specs, fuel quality, air temp, fuel temp, exhaust temp, backpressure, everything you can think of and then some.... It compares this data to the data that engine was built with on the day it was built and ran at Caterpillar when it was brand new... And yes those engines were dyno tested and set on an engine dyno when brand new..... This is the MOST effective money you can spend. We use to do these for $300bucks, and give you a print off and a 7page dyno report that shows exactly what your engine did, and what recommendations or problems you might" have.... Definately the best money that can be spent. In my 6years of running the dyno, i never met anyone who was disappointed with spending the money to see exactly how their engine performed!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.