Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 is coming up on its 300,000th birthday. It’s had mainly bolt on upgrades — chipped, 4” turbo back exhaust and banks cold air intake.

Last time it was in the shop (for a transmission replacement), the mechanic noted he saw soot all over the engine compartment and said it was leaking from the exhaust manifolds. He also mentioned that oil was leaking from the turbo/pedestal. I have also been hearing exhaust leaks puttering from the engine compartment that come and go.

Further, after I put the Banks air intake on, the turbo would let out a shrill stuffer/whine when shifting from 2nd at high RPM to 3rd gear. Bad turbo?

So the plan is…he
-replace the manifolds (are the dorman ones okay / made in China?)
-replace the turbo with a GTP38R
-replace the pedestal with a EBP delete pedestal.

I’m considering injectors and glow plugs since I’ve got so much removed already. I’m towing a 8500lb trailer and would love a slight boost in power and fuel economy. What would you guys recommend?

Anything else I should be thinking about doing while I’m working on the too side?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the drivers side manifold off yesterday without removing the wheel well. Bolts came easily. I had to cut the bolts holding the up pipe.
The passenger side manifold is another story.

I found that the bolt closest to the cab had already had the head snap off. One of the bolt heads rounded when trying to pull it off so i ground it off to try to get the manifold to fall off. And one of the bolts holding the up pipe is hard to access to cut off. So I’m left with two studs and an up pipe that is held by one bolt. And though both of the bolt heads are gone, the manifold is still firmly seated to the head.

I’ll keep everyone posted on the progress. So far, I’ve got about eight hours in the project.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two broken bolts out of 16 isn’t bad! Now to see if I can back them off without breaking them off in the heads. These were the back two cylinders on the passenger side. The head on the longer bolt had actually snapped off during normal use. The other I ground off because I rounded the head off when trying to remove it by hand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here’s what the new doorman manifold look like next to the Ford ones. The Ford ones really weren’t in that bad of shape except for the place that I ground off the head of the manifold bolt. Still, these doorman ones come with a 10 year warranty and hopefully I don’t have to use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My lucky day. Both bolts came off with vice grips and a pipe wrench. Honestly, none of the bolts were very tight. That could’ve been the reason for my exhaust leak in the first place.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here’s the new stuff. GTP38R should be an upgrade from the stock turbo. The turbo exhaust elbow came with the EBP delete pedestal. I had constant trouble with mine sticking, so I think this will be a welcome upgrade as well.

·
Registered
1996 F250 XLT
14 Posts
Definitely keep the old manifolds. That 10 year warranty isn't worth it if you've got to pull them off every couple of years. I think that's how a lot of companies make money nowadays, through people giving up on warranty claims after the second or third time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Definitely keep the old manifolds. That 10 year warranty isn't worth it if you've got to pull them off every couple of years. I think that's how a lot of companies make money nowadays, through people giving up on warranty claims after the second or third time.
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I went ahead and mounted them today. Either the new manifolds or my up-pipe angle is off and I can’t get them to line up even when I loosen the bolts at the top of the drivers side up-pipe. So now, there’s a pretty big gap between my manifolds and my up-pipe that I can’t sure up. Maybe I should loosen the manifold bolts? Tired and frustrated. 1:30 AM getting home.

·
Registered
1996 F250 XLT
14 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I went ahead and mounted them today. Either the new manifolds or my up-pipe angle is off and I can’t get them to line up even when I loosen the bolts at the top of the drivers side up-pipe. So now, there’s a pretty big gap between my manifolds and my up-pipe that I can’t sure up. Maybe I should loosen the manifold bolts? Tired and frustrated. 1:30 AM getting home.
It may be something as simple as interference causing the up-pipe to hang funny - frustration removes your ability to see the obvious. It can take hours (or years, depending on the context) to un-do a bad 1:30 AM decision. The only good 1:30 AM decision is to go to bed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We worked on it again tonight. I completely removed the bolts from the top of the up-pipe and were able to seat the bottom without any gaps. It was close though. I think that normally these pipes have a clearance dent in the pipe to clear the engine. Mine didn’t and I had to crank it has hard as I could to get it to line up correctly. I doing so, the up-pipe is resting against the engine block.

However, now the bolt holes don’t line up on the flange on the top. I think I can get a big pair of channel locks and rotate it tomorrow. I didn’t have any to finish the job tonight, and the flange won’t turn by hand. One step closer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried to spin the flange at the top of the up pipe tonight. Nope. It’s welded to the bellows, and the bellows are welded to the pipe. It’s set and won’t rotate.

So I cut the pipe and am going to have a muffler shop weld it together. You can see how far off it was. Buyer beware. I bought this set off eBay for around $100 for the pedestal up pipes and y-collector.

I would just buy a new one, but I’m out of time. Driving from KC to Kentucky on Friday, and I’ve got an appointment at the dealership tomorrow to have some other work done.

I could use help remembering how this wiring connects on the intake.

Also, does anyone know what size bolts bolt into the block where the exhaust sensor mounts to the front of the block. I dropped one, and would like to pick one up early tomorrow if I can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two steps forward, one back. I was able to get everything finished tonight. Up-pipe was installed and aligned perfectly with the manifold and collector. Then I cranked the engine over…. oil poured out of the back of the turbo pedestal. I kept thinking, there is WAY to much oil for it to be seeping out of the seal. And with a little research I found that my pedestal has an Allen bolt plug that should be installed unless you want to pour oil all over your garage floor. So I disassembled my up pipe, again, so I had clearance to get the plug installed.

The car is ready to take to the dealership to have them troubleshoot an intermittent starting issue. I’ll let you know what I find out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts