Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this? I have seen the boots listed so I know they are made. The question is there another fit up issue I havent thought of? This way the air flow path would be getting larger as it goes tword the head not smaller as it is with the early 99 set up. Then when I go T4 someday the plenums are already done. Will it fit up?

·
OBS Stroker
1,004 Posts
If they are stock 7.3 3" plenums, they might require some "gentle massing" to clear the turbo on the drivers side head. Nothing a rubber hammer can't fix.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Stock 3" plenums work just fine without clearencing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, Headcase, you hve this combo installed? Just trying to be sure we arent discussing a theory here when I get my truck apart and find out there is one more detail....sounds like you know from experience.
Anyone else assebled this combo?

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If the boots are the right length to allow the spyder to be in the right position, what else is there really to consider? If boots can transition from 2 3/8" to 2" there's nothing that would prevent the other direction other than the length of the boots themselves.

I think you're making more out of this than is necessary.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, I have SD 3" manifold on my '97 with a "Custom Y" that I built to connect it to the turbo. I also modified a 99+ spyder to run with my Intercooler set-up I pieced together but I may just sell that. And this is all using the Fuel Bowl.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the boots are the right length to allow the spyder to be in the right position, what else is there really to consider? If boots can transition from 2 3/8" to 2" there's nothing that would prevent the other direction other than the length of the boots themselves.

I think you're making more out of this than is necessary.
Thanks to both of you for the reply. I probably am making more of this than necessary. I'm working 1500 miles away from home (and the truck) and have lots of time to think about it but I can't put my eyes on it till I get home for a few days. The idea is to tow a gooseneck full of toys up here this summer, so I'll fly home, catch up maintenance on the truck maybe add the I/C it needs and tow back up here. Since I will have limited time I start to plan everything very carefully.......

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I have SD 3" manifold on my '97 with a "Custom Y" that I built to connect it to the turbo. I also modified a 99+ spyder to run with my Intercooler set-up I pieced together but I may just sell that. And this is all using the Fuel Bowl.
Specifically, I'm looking to run a early 99 spider with 3" inlet 99.5 and up manifolds without modifying anything. Sounds like you have some customized parts there. Which in my old days I would just fire up the TIG and go for it, but no big shop near home anymore....so it has to be a bolt together for now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I can't post pics, but if you PM me your number or email I can send you some.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The welds suck, but it doesn't leak. It's been on for almost years now. If I don't intercool it, It will get worked over this summer. It's a 3" 90° bend and a 2" 90° bend cut to length and welded. Had to add a port for the MAP sensor as the 3" manifolds no longer have it.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
3" Irate plenums, E99 Spyder, 2.5"x3" boots (2 3/8" x 3" boots had to be ordered, I was in a rush)

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I just had to give the driver's side 3" plenum a small whack for clearance. The factory e-99 manifold compressor adaptor to the 3" SD plenum needs the 2-3/8" to 3" boot.

I would suggest getting the re-inforcing rings for the plenum necks since really tightening up the boot clamps will collapse the sheet metal necks. Been there and done that. I also used constant tension T-bolt hose clamps, they work better than the stock ones. (McMaster-Carr)

If you want a predinged SD plenum, send me a PM, you can have my set.(if I can find them, that is.)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, Dave, this brings another question you might have an idea on......I think I know the answer. If they can be had, Beans raised design plenums (the one pure design in my book) will hit the turbo on this set up right? No way around that? Of course the Riff Raff and NLTD will clear. Just doing the IDE thing while its snowing........

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
So, Dave, this brings another question you might have an idea on......I think I know the answer. If they can be had, Beans raised design plenums (the one pure design in my book) will hit the turbo on this set up right? No way around that? Of course the Riff Raff and NLTD will clear. Just doing the IDE thing while its snowing........
Riff Raff plenums don't fit under the OBS turbo. NLTD has halted production of their plenums for the time being.

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I used one billet aluminum raised plenum and a SD plenum (dinged) with the stock turbo. There was no clearance for the aluminum raised plenum under the stock turbo.

I have Design-It billet aluminum plenums who never sold them under their own name. Design-It is a custom CNC machine shop. They fit under the KASB turbo I now have, barely clear the dual Terminators and had to change the O-Ring boss fitting on the Remote IPR block. My billet plenums were used by Terminator to check fitment of his dual HPOP units. My pump is one of the beta test dual hpops updated to current specs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts