Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bmd88
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought a 96 f350 and the hubs won't lock. After some research on this site I decided to swap to manual. Unfortunately, I'm having some issues with the conversion. I took off everything before the bearing. I actually took out the bearing to confirm this, and the hub lock assembly won't slide in far enough to install the retaining ring that came with hub kit. I even tried to put it in without the spindle nuts and lock ring to be sure they weren't holding it out. No luck...

Any ideas??

I'll post pictures in a bit

Thanks for any help! I'm pretty frustrated...

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
The auto hubs have one late wheel bearing nut and it must be removed and replaced with the 2 nuts and the "lock washer" to use manual hubs

·
Bmd88
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if the photo worked but I did take that off and installed the nuts and lock washers as specified. Still the warn lock assembly was flush with the edge of the hub leaving no room to snap the retaining ring in to hold the assembly inside the hub.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
Double check the part number on the hubs you got is my idea. Will the hubs install with enough room for the retaining ring with the hub off the spindle?

·
Bmd88
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Tom. I did confirm the part number based on what was printed on the box. Maybe I should confirm based on warn's specified dimensions also. I was hoping that there was am easier answer than that because the hub only needs to slide in 1/16" or so, but none the less I'll have to try that if I don't come up with any other options.

Do you think its a bad idea to try to convince the assembly to slide in a bit with some healthy blows from a dead blow hammer? Or is that a slippery slope.

·
Bmd88
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hubs are in. My dad took my truck to the shop while I was at work and the mechanic ground the warn locking hub assemblies slightly to make them fit. He said it was a minor modification and it has to be done on some models. I'm still a bit nervous about it though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts