Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've done a 3" body lift with an auto as have many others.
But what about a 5 spd?
Seems like a bit of a pain with the shifter.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My truck has a 3" body lift and I have no issues with it. The lift have been very beneficial so far when I work on the truck it gives more clearance to work when I changed the rear tank and when I replaced the clutch. I also am running 305's on 16 x 10 wheels so it helped with clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you had/have no issues with the shifter dropping so low and interferring with anything like the cab floor?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Jim,

I did a 3" on my 95 crew cab and had to slightly bend the topshift linkage (the short steel rod that comes out of the top housing of the transmission) forward a little bit so that the actual shift "stick" wouldn't rub on the back of the floorpan hole. It was a fine line of adjustment though because I went too far at first and the shift knob would hit the dash. Too little and it would rub on the hole in the floor.

Otherwise, problem free....even the hydraulic clutch line was long enough.

I just had to get used to a 3" shorter stick.

·
Registered
480 Posts
When i had my 98 F150 when i did the body lift in it i had to notch the floor if i remember corectly for 1 gear... Not a big deal... I also modded my shifter just to make it a little more compfortable... Took a tourch and heated up the shaft about 6" from the nob and angled it a bit more towards the driver. Remember to take the nob of first though they tend not to loke the heat..haha.. Not sure if it would be the same for the Diesel.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
I had a 96' 5spd that we installed a 3" body lift on. I don't remember the trans shifter being a problem. It was the 4x4 floor shifter that was the PITA. I believe I bought aftermarket boots for both shifters. Also, pack some insulation under the 5spd shifter before you re-install a boot. It will cut down a bunch on in-cab noise.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Jim, Mine has a 1.5 lift that I had to do to fit the Turbo in (need to redo the turbo mount). It works, but I HATE it. That little bit shorter stick just feels odd. Everything works but it just throws everything off.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, Cody, either your truck is lifted really high, or you're really short?
LOL

So do you recall if you bend the shifter at the trans, or the stick itself, or both?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did the 4x4 shifter 7 years ago so that's not an issue, and it really wasn't that bad. :shrug:

·
Crazy Talk
3,537 Posts
well it wasnt too bad. i got rid of the upper boot and cut the plastic so it would go to 2wd.

·
Early bird gets the worm
538 Posts
No problems here. I originally had an auto and last year I swapped in a zf5 to replace it...no problems. I did install the short throw shifter kit because the shifter was a little too close to the dash for my liking.

·
Inmate #1
418 Posts
I bent both...at the transmission and where you see it in the picture.

It was a really high truck.

Dam Cody, I miss that truck, and I'm pretty sure you do too. LOL

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Yeah, Cody, you can stop bringing that up now........:pointlaugh:

The really sickening part is that I basically gave the truck away when I got married because we needed a useful vehicle to pull her horse trailer but couldn't afford both trucks. I bought a 2001 F250 for that purpose and sold the '95 for beans.

Well, she walked out on me 6 months ago and took the Super Duty anyway and left me with a 91 Oldsmobile Calais.........
I had to buy another truck (in haste due to work-related things) so now I own a 95 F-250 SC/LB PSD that cost me the sale of my Ninja ZX12R.

That woman ruined my life.

Live and learn I guess. No more women for me (and no, no guys either so don't go there) since I'm afraid of that scenario again.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Damn Cody, Sad story brah..

Love that truck though :p

Btw I got a 2 inch body lift.. No shifter problems with the shortshift kit, But the 4x4 lever in the cab Is hardly connected to the transfercase itself, If you know how its linked together, You'd know what I meant I think

1 - 19 of 19 Posts