Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they (NADM,pullin power,etc.) actually check this in tech? I kow its in the rules just dont really want to drill two holes in my down pipe

·
OverFuelingForYourPlesure
1,609 Posts
i have been checked for them

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Every time i've pulled in nadm i've been checked. Its good insurance though, i wouldnt want a wheel to let go and hurt somebody because of me

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
It does get teched and it can be a major safety hazard if they are not present. I have a buddy that lost a turbine wheel out of large turbo on the pulling track several years ago - the wheel spiral cut the down pipe for about 18" in length and about 2 1/2" between the cuts.... it was wicked cool - I wish i would have gotten a picture of it for these discussions. i have seen wheels go out the pipe without damaging anything in the exhaust and fly through the air - imagine what that wheel spinning at that speed would do if it hit someone...

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
Let me see if I can find my pics........

·
Bigfoot is an OBS
3,462 Posts
Do they (NADM,pullin power,etc.) actually check this in tech? I kow its in the rules just dont really want to drill two holes in my down pipe
If they don't, your turbine wheel comes out the exhaust and hurts someone, you'd probably be liable.
If the person that got hurt really wanted to press the issue, they could probably take you to court for negligence (criminal or otherwise).

Oh, and word would get around pretty fast. You probably would be barred from competing at any event of any size.

If you're worried about the holes leaking, then weld the heads & nuts to the pipe. Leaks fixed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah diffinatly wouldnt want anyone to get hurt. Its not a big deal i was just curious. Will it work if they are down low enough to be drilled without removing the down pipe or do they need to be next to the turbo

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
"As close as physically possible" is what most regulations read, or something similar. Mine are right at the outlet, that way the wheel cannot exit through the pipe ahead of hitting the bolts.

Dave

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Lot of the rules I've seen lately say "within 12 inches of the turbo"

Think I saw that on the tech sheet for TS this year too.

·
Name says it all
40 Posts
It does get teched and it can be a major safety hazard if they are not present. I have a buddy that lost a turbine wheel out of large turbo on the pulling track several years ago - the wheel spiral cut the down pipe for about 18" in length and about 2 1/2" between the cuts.... it was wicked cool - I wish i would have gotten a picture of it for these discussions. i have seen wheels go out the pipe without damaging anything in the exhaust and fly through the air - imagine what that wheel spinning at that speed would do if it hit someone...
Your right Hotrodtractor. My buddy blew a turbo last year at a pull and sent the wheel flying. Thank god we had the 3/8in bolts in. The bolts were so bent we couldn't get them out. Hes actually got that turbo going boom on youtube which was pretty cool for us, not so cool for him.:doh:

·
Busy Busy
9,004 Posts
It's not an exhaust leak... so to speak. It has no bearing on your ability to contain the exhaust volume.

Yes you might see soot on the pipe but it's not hurting anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts