Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this has probably been brought up a million times but here goes.

i rarely tow, when i do probably 6k lbs.

looking for better mpg. so far only mods are a 4" straight pipe and im about to do a diy 6637 intake and an edge evo..

how much of a power loss will it be going from 4:10s to 3:55s? i have a guy wanting to trade a 3:55 rear axle for my 4:10 axle. im thinking about trading for better mpg. im gonna ask for some money in between them though. i hate turning 2k rpm at 60mph.

so whats yalls opinions on this? will i gain anything from it? largest size tire it will ever see is a 285/75/16 if that. right now it has 235/85/16s on it.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Since your truck a soccer mom truck 3:55 would be the better choice. As far as getting$$ from the guy for your 4:10, it is not worth anymore than his 3:55

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well talked to.the guy just a second ago. $100 installed and.I.keep my 4:10s

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha. I gotta help him but hell if i dont like them I could always swap back in my 4:10 axle

·
Registered
225 Posts
What mileage are you getting with 4.10 gears now? I can easily achieve 20mpg with 4.10's and 235/85 tires

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I felt like I picked up power going to 3.55's. felt like the turbo lit faster

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went from 4:10's to 3:55's and I Tow, Drag race and daily drive it and it works great! I think any 7.3 with good power runs great on 3:55's.

·
needs more fuel
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just what i wanted to hear! thanks yall. right now im getting about 14mpg give or take a mile. hoping the intake im making and the edge will help me pick up a couple mpg. i always have the cruise set 55-60 mph

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Since your truck a soccer mom truck 3:55 would be the better choice.
LOL good stuff right there... 16mpg or 18mpg-- who cares when its a working truck

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
just what i wanted to hear! thanks yall. right now im getting about 14mpg give or take a mile. hoping the intake im making and the edge will help me pick up a couple mpg. i always have the cruise set 55-60 mph
Get a custom chip from on of the sponsors here and forget about the edge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm curious about this too. I'd just swap axles, since they're easy to find around here. It'd be interesting to see what exactly the MPG gains are though, that's the only reason I haven't swapped. I'm on the highway all the time now, and if I could get better than 17 I'd swap.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Like psrumors stated.....go with a custom chip and forget the edge.
Or put the edge on for a few weeks....take it off and put a custom chip on and you'll see for yourself that it's a night and day difference.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
MPG's has a lot to do with driving style. You aren't going to achieve anything with a gear change if you drive the same street racing ways with the 3.55's... I average 17 with my 4.10s mixed driving. On the highway I can get 18-19...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
How would a gear change not affect mileage? If you go from 2K rpms at 60 to 1500 rpms at 60 your going to use less fuel.

I will agree that driving style is 75% of mpg. But you have to figure in mehcanical condition also. Ball joints, tires, alignments, u joints, transmission, injectors, filters etc.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i got 410s now i miss my 373s

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You answered your own question
not really? assuming driving style is good and equal with both gears I think you will get bettter mileage easily with the 3.55's

1 - 20 of 34 Posts