Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at reducing the 4.10 LS gearing in the F350 6.0L 6SP to 3.08.

From previous threads it appears that 3.08 gearing may be optimal for MPG with manual trans but it sounds like it is difficult to locate. Does this mean that it is not available OEM, aftermarket, Istambul, nowhere?

Can no aftermarket vendors be convinced that there would be a market for the 3.08 gears?

I have seen reference to 3.08 being available for Sterling gearing. Too new to the PS world to know about that. Can someone explain and indicate what year/models it was available for?

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
I dont know of any gears that tall for a 10.5 sterling. You might have to add a gear vendor OD to get that kinda gearing. I think 3.55 are the tallest gears available.

·
1,084 Posts
I haven't seen them offered for five years. Maybe one of the PSN sponsors might know different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys,

A bit more digging into this. My 350 dually (I know, not the most aerodynamic but as Dave has shown some challenges can be vanquished) has a Dana 80 rather than the 10.5.

Checking a number of locations (haven't heard back from Superior yet) it appears that 3.31 is going to be the best that I can do. Not what I was hoping for but pretty close.

Rusty, if your scrounger extrodinaire skills come across a 3.08 for the Dana 80, I'd be a happy camper.

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
Dana 80! WOW! I dont know much about them, never owned a dually. Good luck with that search. I will look around on the net.

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
I have a dually that I will be regearing aswell. A set of 3.31's would probably suffice but I may want to go lower. Let me know what you find, maybe we can purchase together at the same time and save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:smirk:
Dana 80! WOW! I dont know much about them, never owned a dually. Good luck with that search. I will look around on the net.
Wasn't planning on the dually or even the 350 for that matter. Came across this one on ebay from a Jeep dealer for such a ridiculously low amount that I couldn't say no. I don't think I could have found a 150 with the same mileage for the same amount.

Needed something to haul my 3 classics (56 Chev PU, 66 Lemans Conv, 54 Starchief) when necessary so I think my towing needs will sit fine with my MPG aspirations.

The Dana 80. Extra beef but limits the menu. But when we were looking at the 10.5, we thought we were limited until Rusty came up with a resource. If I can go from the 4.10 to the 3.31 with the Dana, I think I'll be doing pretty good.

Got a current financial jam ($1200 water bill; leak while I was out of town; working with waterworks to reverse) that put my plans on hold momentarily. As soon as things get straightened out, this will be first on my list.

Really appreciate everyone helping out. Makes this forum a great place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found this at Superior but would like to find out which of the other components listed will be needed to complete the job. I do believe the R&P Gear Set and D80 Master Overhaul kit is what is needed if anyone can verify. Once verified, there appear to be a number of vendors out there with the 3.31 set and we can look for the best price. I'll still be on the lookout for 3.08 but Mike at Superior said that is as low as they go.

DANA 80 3.31 RING & PINION GEAR SET [D80331]
Superior Ring and Pinion sets are manufactured from premium 8620 steel. Computer controlled machining is performed by both Gleason and Phoenix gear cutting machines. Precise heat-treating, honing and lapping is performed to provide ideal contact patterns for smoother,quieter and cooler operation with easier setup.

Spider GearsSPLINE STANDARD INTERNAL KIT [85-2080-37]
Superior Axle and Gear internal spider gear kits include side gears, pinion gears, thrust washers, cross shaft and retaining pin/roll pin. This kit fully rebuilds your open differential.

Installation Kits [25-2080]
25-2080 Basic Ring and Pinion Installation kit by Superior Axle & Gear is designed to provide the basic components necessary to install a Dana 80 ring and pinion gear set.
Superior Axle and Gear Installation Kit includes: Pinion Nut, Pinion Seal, Crush Sleeve, Pinion Shims, Carrier Shims, Ring Gear Bolts, Loctite, Marking Compound, Brush and Gasket.
Replaces the following part numbers:
D80IK
MK D80-A

D80 98 & UP FORD [35-2079]
This Superior Axle brand Master Overhaul Kit is complete and includes all the necessary hardware to professionally rebuild an axle and install a new ring and pinion set. This kit includes pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion nut, pinion seal, pinion shims, crush sleeve, ring gear bolts, cover gasket and gear marking compound. Superior uses only the finest components in its kits and features Timken bearings and National seals.

D80 MASTER OVERHAUL KIT [35-2080]
This Superior Axle brand Master Overhaul Kit is complete and includes all the necessary hardware to professionally rebuild an axle and install a new ring and pinion set. This kit includes pinion bearings, carrier bearings, pinion nut, pinion seal, pinion shims, crush sleeve, ring gear bolts, cover gasket and gear marking compound. Superior uses only the finest components in its kits and features Timken bearings and National

Rear Axle
PA5210 Rear Axle Shaft; Dana 80 98 & UP F450 37SPL L/R [PA5210]
Superior Axle and Gear manufactures high quality replacement axle shafts from premium alloy, along with computer controlled induction heat treating that results in a stronger more durable axle shaft. The majority of Superior's axle shafts use a cold formed rolled spline process that produces an axle spline up to 35% stronger than cut splines. These are direct replacement axle shafts that require no cutting or modification to fit seamlessly into your ride.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been looking around for best pricing for 3.31 gearset and the elusive 3.08 gearset. 3.08 is apparently not to be had for the Dana 80.

However, there does appear to be options in the purchase of the 3.31 gearset. The gennie Dana 80 3.31 gearset runs about $653 but a Yukon 3.31 gearset runs about $350.

Superior has only the Dana but Randy's has both the Dana and the Yukon. Is there any reason to not use the Yukon? Is reliability equivalent?

I will likely use one of the local shop for purchase rather than on-line as the install is way beyond me.

I am hoping that the 4.10 to 3.31 swap will help in the MPG in both city and highway while many of the other mods I have planned (lowering, tonneau) will make their impact primarily on the highway.

·
Outlaw wrench
155 Posts
I have used the yukon gears in my toyota rock crawler. Never had a problem with the 5.29 ratio that was suppose to be to weak for serious crawling. My 22re doesnt make the torque that a 6.0 does but i think with the shock loads and the low gearing( marlin crawler doubler kit and lockers) the strength reguirements should be close. Just my .02.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts