Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who do yall think would win? exact same engine and trans? 4wd has a better launch, 2wd is lighter and has less power loss from drivetrain. 4wd is quicker, 2wd is faster?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
2WD FTW

How many 4wd do you see in NHRA or IHRA pro stock

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
2WD FTW

How many 4wd do you see in NHRA or IHRA pro stock
Okay, when you look at the guys with thousands of dollars in their trucks, yes a 2WD would win, however, I think the OP was talking about street trucks. IDK though, just a guess.

-French

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, i was wondering about a mostly dedicated strip truck.. say a street legal racer. there are 4x4s running well over 100 mph, just wondering about traction for us and overally win. yeah, a 2wd is faster, but can it regain from the slower start before the 4x4 crosses the line? put a single cab 2wd and a single cab 4x4 against each other.. everything the same except 2x and 4x.. who comes out on top?

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
The quickest Power Stroke is a 4wd truck.....the next quickest is a 3,000 lb ranger that is 2wd, and the 3rd quickest is a yet another 4wd truck. I would rather race with a 4wd truck. E/T is what wins races, not MPH. :poke:

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
The quickest Power Stroke is a 4wd truck.....the next quickest is a 3,000 lb ranger that is 2wd, and the 3rd quickest is a yet another 4wd truck. I would rather race with a 4wd truck. E/T is what wins races, not MPH. :poke:
Wait until the PTP/PSN drag truck is done.:poke: :evil

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
It's not really an argument... if the fastest 6.4 was set up correctly, it would hook in 2wd, be lighter, and quicker/faster. 4wd is the easy way out... HP is HP, and weight is weight, 4x4 has more parasitic loss, and more weight...

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not really an argument... if the fastest 6.4 was set up correctly, it would hook in 2wd, be lighter, and quicker/faster. 4wd is the easy way out... HP is HP, and weight is weight, 4x4 has more parasitic loss, and more weight...
all this is true.. but put that engine in a 4wd with its launch vs. that engine in a 2wd with its higher mph.. who wins? thats the question. not "who is fastest now?" or "who is gonna be faster when finished?" just wondering if the launch in a 4wd is enough to keep it ahead of the 2wd by the end of the 1/4.

·
Registered
653 Posts
2wd

4wd is for drag racin the farm truck or toy hauler LOL

Having the challenge of setting up the 2wd makes a successful race more rewarding IMO. 2wd's are a lot easier on parts, except drive shafts and rear axles:doh: They also handle much better at high speeds.

If 2wd was a more common option in diesels we'd see more fast 2wd's.

When the PTP/PSN truck and Rob's truck are done we will see what well built high hp 2wd's will do against the dominating 4wd.

·
Catfish Mafia
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats what i was thinkin. it takes more time and moeny to set up a 2wd, buthey are better in the long run (literally!)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts