Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father inlaw is going to make my dually I sold him 4x4, I was wondering if we could use the trans that's in and just swap out tailshafts, and if the transfer case of a 460 f350 would work since we are yanking the Dana 60 out of it too, does anyone know?

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
The transmission will have to come out & go to a builder. He can swap the tail shaft/housing from 2wd to 4x4 but he will need to tear the trans apart from the front to get at the back. Not 100% sure on the transfer case, you would have to check the spine count on the out put shaft & make sure it's the same.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
You will need more than the tail housing from the 460 trans like CAT said. you need the rear end of the guts from it too.
The t-case will also work they are not different between gas or diesel but just make sure you match driveshaft with the t-case

·
loud and long
567 Posts
I was going to do this same thong but ended up not because it was to mice of a truck to hack up. The frames on 2wd aren't boxed either in the front like 4wd

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
You are correct but it is easy enough to box it, or even add a RSK for the front spring hangers

·
OBS junkie
8,249 Posts
Exactly, perfect time to do a RSK & call it a day.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We got nothing but time, we get laid off for the whole winter so just gonna take it one day at a time, I didn't think any of it would work but he wants to try it so I said why not

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
We got nothing but time, we get laid off for the whole winter so just gonna take it one day at a time, I didn't think any of it would work but he wants to try it so I said why not
It all is a bolt in except for boxing the frame horns for the front spring mounts. that will require welding but a minimal amount

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It all is a bolt in except for boxing the frame horns for the front spring mounts. that will require welding but a minimal amount
No biggy, I can weld my ass off... People look at welding as work, but I like to think of it as a relaxing vacation

1 - 11 of 11 Posts