Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a decently extended drive from Baton Rouge, LA. to the Gulf Coast below Tallahassee, FL. Figured since I was driving solo I would occupy myself with a small experiment, so I broke the first 3 parts of the trip into 100 mile segments. I started with a crammed full tank and topped off to crammed full at each 100mile point. The complete test was done today with temps ranging from 62 at the start to 70 at the completion. My truck is completely stock, I ran with no ac, window closed, and vent on. Here's the runs, enjoy the surprise on segment #3 !

Segment #1 done at 69mph on the cruise control and flat terrain : 18.6mpg

Segment #2 done at 74mph on the cruise and flat terrain : 19.2

Segment #3 done at 78mph on the cruise and flat terrain : 18.4

Couldn't believe #3 so I did it over again only this time I was getting into the hilly area of I-10 near Grand Ridge, FL... Staying at 78 I saw 18.2. My truck is completely unaltered performance or tuning wise and has just over 204,000 miles. Anyway, just thought I would share in case anybody was interested :) All mpg's were hand calculated...

·
1 Slo PoMoFo
109 Posts
Exactly what my 97 got with the AC blowing cold. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
They say that wind resistance causes great reductions in mpg over a certain low speed like 55, yet I do believe it is possible and as you have proven, that the engine is more efficient at certain rpms. Enough of an improvement that it exceeds the loss due to wind drag at higher speeds. Just a matter of finding the sweet spot for your vehicle.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had a little update from a recent parts trip to Pennsylvania and back. Some of this was with a trailer loaded and at 6500lbs. The rest was empty truck with no trailer. The only changes to the truck since the first post was the fact that my wiring harness needed replacing along with an alternator and a cam position sensor. Still no mods unless you want to consider fresh Amsoil and fuel filters LOL !

Loaded going uphill into the Poconos in Pennsylvania : 17mpg

In town mileage in the Poconos area ( very hilly ! ) : 17mpg

Hwy mileage loaded at 69mph on the cruise/downhill ( 1900rpm ) : 18.6mpg

Hwy mileage empty at 69mph on the cruise : 20.8mpg

The 1st and last segments had the ac on too. It wasn't needed once in the Poconos as the temps were in the 40's/50's...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little update from my recent trip to Maryland from Florida, and then Mustang Week and back home to Florida...

All runs were truck only, no trailer:

Northbound on the cruise @ 69mph with a/c 20.7mpg

Southbound to Mustang week at 80mph on the cruise 16.4mpg

Local Myrtle Beach traffic 15mpg

Southbound headed home at 68mph on the cruise with a/c 21.8mpg

Two days after my return home to FL I departed to come back out here to the boat for another month and ran the EX from my home in Florida to the crewchange hub in Baton Rouge, LA. The entire run was done on one tank and with a/c on the cruise at 68mph 21.8mpg

All runs were hand calculated...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts