Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
More mileage update.
Pulled 2 cars from Colorado to California. Mileage ran 11.5 to 12.5 running pretty constant at 75 (well between 2000 and 2200 rpm since the speedo decided it likes to bounce over about 60 now, so drove off the tach). Last tank, was Reno to Bay Area and around, so stuck at lower speed and had to come down the hill from Tahoe to Sacramento. That tank was 15 towing! A/c was running off and on for the whole trip, which was nice to have done the day before the trip!

Also got sound deadening in both front doors, back of cab, entire floor. Haven't hit the 2 rear doors yet. Unfortunately not much quieter in my mind. Stereo sounds better but general noise not a huge drop. Going to see what I can do to, try and insulate the shift boot better and get the ex panel in on the drivers side.

Replaced all the shocks with 5100s before the trip as well, certainly an improvement there!

Does anyone read these updates, or am I talking to myself!? :blah:

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
I do but I haven't been on in a while. Just finished putting an unknown mileage motor from 2000 in an 01' F250 that I bought for $500(3 motors in fact for $500 total). Talking 7.3 here. This winter I found water in 2 of the cylinders. These motors are tough. Runs great, no blowby. Gave it back to my father in law and he drove it home 100 miles. Next day, he found that the return fuel line came off under the truck. I was worried at first but all is well.

I always wondered about the mileage you might get. Pretty good for a DRW. What is the weight on that rig, 8500lbs?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I do but I haven't been on in a while. Just finished putting an unknown mileage motor from 2000 in an 01' F250 that I bought for $500(3 motors in fact for $500 total). Talking 7.3 here. This winter I found water in 2 of the cylinders. These motors are tough. Runs great, no blowby. Gave it back to my father in law and he drove it home 100 miles. Next day, he found that the return fuel line came off under the truck. I was worried at first but all is well.

I always wondered about the mileage you might get. Pretty good for a DRW. What is the weight on that rig, 8500lbs?
8100 or 8200, dont remember exactly what it was when last scaled.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Scaled again, the dump wants to know how heavy your garbage is I guess. :rolleyes: Weighed in at 8080. With about 200lbs of person in it. Lighter than I first had figured out. I had to estimate the weight of other junk in the truck to get a weight before.

Also, I got to pondering mileage, and it never sat well that the recent tow the mileage varied so much. Then, duh :doh: The speedo was wiggling, and reading low. Typically fluctuating around 60 when I know I was cruising 70-75 based on the tach. So the odometer is going to be reading lower as well. So Im going to say 11-12.5 is the low end, and likely falsely low, of what the towing mileage was. I think Ive got some metal on the sensor in the diff, and will be opening that diff up to reset the limited slip, and will clean up the sensor when Im in there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Reorganized the clutches and plates in the LSD when I regeared. Way to aggressive as clutch/plate/clutch etc. Tires scuffing with a trailer hooked up even on pavement! Eating tires, banging etc. Redid to clutch clutch plate plate etc and its still aggressive, but tires arent scuffing on pavement. Id say its perfect, we'll see what tire wear does, and make the final call from there!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the VSS wire tap... Would I feed just the pcm with the signal from the pump, or does that have to connect to the other half of the wire too (wherever it goes)? That's the last piece of my puzzle.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dont cut the VSS wire, Just solder the pump wire to the PCM VSS wire...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be tackling a similar swap this winter and will be referencing this build a lot. Do you have the dimensions on your motor mounts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I should have layed out what my actual plans are. I currently drive a 99 cummins 2500 5sp with 310k on the clock....the body is rotten but the engine and trans are solid. I picked up an 02 f250 crew cab 8' bed that had a 7.3 with less than 100k which was pulled before I got it. The goal is to swap engine trans and tcase into the superduty and add f350 fx4 springs.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,399 Posts
I will be tackling a similar swap this winter and will be referencing this build a lot. Do you have the dimensions on your motor mounts?
Sorry to break it to ya, but OP hasnt been on here for around 2 years or so. This thread is pretty dead.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Any pictures of the whole truck anywhere? How many miles on it since the finish of the build? Did you get the speedometer problem fixed? Thank you.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts