Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted a real crew, 8' bed, a cummins, and a reliable good mileage cummins at that. This is how I decided to go.

Buy a dodge, and buy a ford, put them together, get a Fummins!

donors:
2000 Dodge, standard 235hp, with nv5600, 4wd
L99 f350 crew dually, 7.3 auto 4wd

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why the 24v, and no p-pump? Simple, according to federal law you cannot remove emissions equipment (take out cat), nor downgrade a system (injected to carb swap is a no-no). Jury seems still out on deciding this one diesels a bit, but I want a fully legit swap, which means no 12v. And I did not want a CR. Ive owned a 24v for over 100k as well, so Im pretty familiar with that engine as well.

The game plan changed a bit over time, with the final result being:
24v to nv5600 then use the 271 from the ford with a 29 spline input shaft. This saves $ and headache. No adapters used. Driveshafts are just ford shortened/lengthened. No starter on the exhaust side, grinding to fit etc.

As time has gone on, Ive found Im really not buying anything for the swap hardly. As of right now, to make this work Ill have the input shaft, a/c lines made. Building the engine mounts, the rad/intercooler hoses, modify or build new on the fan shroud, rework the stock 3.5" exhaust from the ford to connect to the cummins. I am also using the stock 24v exh manifold, flipped over, and reclocking the turbo. This allows me to reuse the pacbrake that came on the dodge donor with immense amount of clearance around it.

Pulling engine...well sort of. Left trans and tcase on, just chopped off the first 4 or 5' of frame, dropped it down, rolled it out. So easy!

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine mounts. Note the cutout in the passenger side one. Just did it for more room around the engine mount. Without cutting the center, there is only 1/4" between the plate and the steel part of the stock engine mount. The stock engine mounts were swapped side to side. This moved the engine more towards center, and dropped it another 1-1.5". It now sits 1.25" offset to the passenger side. In a stock dodge, it sits 1" offset. Without the mounts swapped it sat closer to 2.5" offset.

Mounts are getting more bracing, trimmed down, and fully welded of course. This was final fit, but wasn't 100% sure everything was just right.

And looking up at the turbo and pacbrake.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So thinking of taking a chainsaw to a scalpel job.
Longstory quick:
oil pan leaked, did a new gasket, found KDP in oil pan.
Doing front main seal, gears all look great, cover is broken a JB welded. So now need cover and vp44 pump. So pondering a p-pump swap now! Which I realy dont want to do, but there are a couple upsides to it..... :doh:

·
Registered
416 Posts
P-pump it you will be glad you did!

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
Lets see the dually.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P-pump it you will be glad you did!
Thought about it, staying 24v. Enough looking around, looks like fine for removing emissions control can be a fine of 25k. A 12v being mechanical would be a removal. With this truck going into several states, and emissions being in my county, just not in my exact area, not doing this swap twice.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hurry up and finish it lol I wanna see it done
LOL
Me too! Ill have some updates with pics soon!

Playing with spagetti, er I mean working on wiring. Plan is to have a WTS light, check engine light etc. Looks like Ive got the WTS light wiring, the CEL, well, Dodge hid that somewhere in 100 pages of wiring diagrams! :doh:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL
Me too! Ill have some updates with pics soon!

Playing with spagetti, er I mean working on wiring. Plan is to have a WTS light, check engine light etc. Looks like Ive got the WTS light wiring, the CEL, well, Dodge hid that somewhere in 100 pages of wiring diagrams! :doh:
CEL seems to be run off a computer in the dodge gauge cluster. Started a discussion here: Check engine light wire, which is it? doing swap - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

Right now, looks like I may need a gauge cluster to gut, use the computer inside it, and feed the ford CEL from the the leads in the dodge cluster for CEL.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Machined grooves in the harmonic balancer for tach pickup.

Started with a 1 3/4 J bend of exhaust tubing.

Turned a deal to go to 2" for the lower cummins hose.

Final lower hose, ready to finish weld. Part of stock Cummins hose at motor, part of a stock 7.3 hose at the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The big reason Im not running a 3rd gen style manifold, Pacbrake.

First pic, stock orientation. With a manifold flipped, this would put the air cylinder right into the manifold.

Redrilled the mounting pattern, then turned off the arm, and reclocked the arm relative to the butterfly.

Installed. Plenty of room, over an inch to the firewall, and about 2" to the manifold.

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is there a place that you can order the different input shaft?

·
michael5126
103 Posts
1 - 20 of 95 Posts