Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to convert a 24 volt winch to a 12 volt winch??? I got this from a friend who was going to trash it and would like to put it on a old CJ-7 I built.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe that you have to replace the motor. You may also need to replace the solenoids. Check some of the rockcrawling sites they have lots of information on Warn winches. There are aftermarket companies that sell replacement motors with more hp for less than the Warn ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With what SAMDUST said about adding another battery, how would it be wired up so it will not effect the 12v system on the rest of the vehicle?

I will defiantly check those sites to see what I can dig up. If it is worth the cost of replacing the motor and solenoids great, if not hello e-bay!!!:doh:

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would imagine that you would need a 24V charging system, then run a stepdown to 12V for everything else. Not really that effective at all. The only other choice that I know of would be to have a bank of batteries for the winch alone.

I don't know anything about 24V winches, so there may be an easier method. I would think converting it to 12V would be the most cost effective, though.

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Didnt find anything simple but I did find something I think will help.

Contact these folks : DB Electrical Starter-Alternator

Seems someone on another site had a similar project and they help them out on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I checked their site and it seems that the winch motors are not that expensive at all. I will be contacting them.

Thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You'll have to change the solenoids and I think the motor just has to be reconfigured, change its windings from series to parallel.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the same problem with a 24v winch that i have. Its not a warn but I contacted a few electric motor shops and they told me they could not convert it to 12v. But if you run two batteries in series you can get the 24v from the + of one to the - of the other. from my understanding you can still pull 12v to run the truck and charge with a 12v altenator

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I have the same problem with a 24v winch that i have. Its not a warn but I contacted a few electric motor shops and they told me they could not convert it to 12v. But if you run two batteries in series you can get the 24v from the + of one to the - of the other. from my understanding you can still pull 12v to run the truck and charge with a 12v altenator
No, you can't hook two batteries in series and parallel at the same time, that would cause a direct short.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
No, they don't. You have to have some type of converter to allow that sort of operation.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Besides, you can't charge a 24V bank with a 12V charger. You could disconnect them, then charge them, then hook them back together. But if you want it to run on a truck, then you need a 24V charging system, then a stepdown and a 12V to run the rest of the OEM electronics.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can agree you cant charge it with a 12 volt system but on a electric fork lift they have multiple 6 volt batteries in series to get the voltage they desire. say yor had a 36 volt system with 6 6 volt batteries in series to get your 36 volts you can use the first 4 batteries like i said to get your 12 volts. it wont short out thats how they operate the lights and such. they dont have 36volt light bulbs. I havent tried it but the company next door to mine is a battery service company they restore fork truck batteries and such. this is what they told me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Been lurking... first post.

I've been slowly putting together a 24v rock crawler based off of an ex-military truck. you could swap out the solenoids and motor to run the 24v winch off of the 12v system, creating a frank'n-winch... but sometimes with the cost of used 12v winches, its cheaper just to grab a used one.

If any of you are looking to sell your 24v winch, i may be interested.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts