Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wasnt searching but happended to come across some 24.5 wheels @ a good price, I know i need the adapters etc, but what size tire do most people run. Also what are peoples thoughts on running recaps. My worry would be if they came apart they would destroy my bed. Also does anyone have issues with the front and turning ?

Another thing is most people running 24.5 are you running all aluminum wheels or just running 4 aluminum with 2 steel? And with so much more rotating mass is it a big difference in performance? I dont want to put the wheels on the truck and it become a total turd :doh:

I have 19.5's on the truck now and am in need of tires soon so I was thinking of just changing the complete set up

·
Registered
336 Posts
I wouldn't worry about losing a recap with that little weight.I don't have them on mine but from what I've researched the inners have to be steel because of the rim thickness

·
Registered
336 Posts
More weight=harder to get moving..Harder to stop.Rides rougher.
I don't know the difference in tire height but you would probably want to regear if you tow alot or spend a lot of time in city traffic imho

·
Registered
336 Posts
Never mind on the regear I just read your sig and realized you had a 450

·
Registered
551 Posts
My experience.....if you want to run 24.5 then you are looking at doing suspension upgrades to fit....unless running low profile tires. I decided on 22.5 so I would not have to change suspension running 255/70/22.5 tires....essentially small TT tires. I did leaf spring/shock conversions anyway to increase my load and towing capability. I have all aluminum wheels with steel inners in the rear. With adapters and 33MM lug nuts they came on two pallets with a total weight of 1100lbs. Knowing that I also changed my rears from 4.10 to 4.88 and a Trutrac unit in the D80. Runs like on rollers....not harsh at all if you keep the air to around 60psi. Now that 4.30s are available I might consider installing those to get some milage back and still help the truck move, but with heavy towing its a trade off.

·
COMPUTER BLUE
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow I had no idea they weighed that much. Yea I think im going to pass on doing this. My truck weighs enough as it is lol. They do look good though lol

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
22.5's with 255/70-22.5 tires aren't that much heavier then a 19.5 with 285/70-19.5 tires. I'm assuming you want to change wheels just for the cosmetic change, since commercial tires are available for the 19.5's you already have. If you are just looking for a cosmetic change up go for some 22.5's with lo pro tires!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts