Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to run 238 hybrids with a stock turbo in our truck pulling class this year. I know that my turbo will take a beating but i am just wondering how long my turbo will last? This is my daily driver and i am figureing on about 7 hooks this summer give or take a few.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
i ran my stocker for awhile, it did finally eat its self but it was alot of fun. spool up is very fast.

·
<<< THE GAUGE WHORE...
12,082 Posts
Get used to this noise...

CCCCChhhhhhaaahahahaaccccchaaaaaaachchchcchchchccchahchcfphhthohohtohtoohphphphph....

I have ran one as well... About worthless for anything.

Keep in mind the guy above has a OBS, so a 1.15 housing helped his not to surge quite as bad.

·
HRT Performance
4,565 Posts
Your playing with fire - you might be OK - but the turbo could (and will) chuck itself at any time. Maybe a year - maybe a minute..... it all depends on your turbo, your driving habits, your tuning, and how nasty your hybrids are. But even something as tame as say 238s with 80% tips its a gamble. Be prepared to swap turbos.

(and if your prepared to swap turbos - you should just go ahead and do it...)

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
Maybe a year - maybe a minute..... it all depends on your turbo, your driving habits, your tuning, and how nasty your hybrids are. But even something as tame as say 238s with 80% tips its a gamble. Be prepared to swap turbos.

(and if your prepared to swap turbos - you should just go ahead and do it...)
:whs:

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
If you plan on hooking to sled I would said 2 pulls.

·
MINK
1,049 Posts
sounds like hes trying to stay in the work stock class and get more power...the stocker wont last longer and I doubt you make it through the season

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Definately run your wastegate wide open. If you don't get a 1.0 housing. I'd hook the wastegate actuator directly to a boost referance.

Has anyone ever drilled out the exhaust housing behind the wastegate hole to try and equalize pressure?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Get used to this noise...

CCCCChhhhhhaaahahahaaccccchaaaaaaachchchcchchchccchahchcfphhthohohtohtoohphphphph....

I have ran one as well... About worthless for anything.

Keep in mind the guy above has a OBS, so a 1.15 housing helped his not to surge quite as bad.
sorry, never ran the 230's with the obs turbo. i put them in after i put in the sd turbo with a WW, and i never had the wastegate hooked up. i will say that at the time i did it i knew that i was gambling with it but i was prepared to throw a gt42 in it when it chucked its self. i did also do several pulls with it.

·
Dead Member
204 Posts
So you guys don't feel too bad about or worry about the turbo grenading and throwing all sort of swarf into the motor when a turbo lets go?

Or is it just that a long of a way to the Y pipe from the turbo?

·
Ticking time bomb
2,385 Posts
Get some new tunes and it might last a few pulls maybe not it's a piss in the wind

·
Registered
545 Posts
So you guys don't feel too bad about or worry about the turbo grenading and throwing all sort of swarf into the motor when a turbo lets go?

Or is it just that a long of a way to the Y pipe from the turbo?
usually just melts the exhaust wheel and goes out the exhaust, shouldn't have anything going into the intake...

·
FORD..THE ROCK CRUSHER
2,347 Posts
:whs: and parts from the compressor side gets caught up in the IC...small dust like shavings may make it. nothing a oil change cant fix..

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
I ran my 238 hybrids with my stock turbo for about 2 months and it didnt like it at all. You really wont make any more power with hybrids and a stock turbo then you could with stage 1's and stock turbo.

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Seriously Trey?? Stage 1's?:poke:
It was just an example there jap calm down LOL

But honestly if he makes anything over 375hp with a stock turbo he is doing good.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are correct Comp7.3, i am trying to stay in the work stock class. I really would like hybrids because i dont have to buy big oil and they can get pretty crazy if i decide to jump a class and get a bigger turbo. I mean am i thinking crazy or is it worth a shot?

·
The Fireman
4,810 Posts
Go for it and just know that you will have to put a new turbo in b4 long.

I would HATE to see what drive pressure is like with a stock turbo and hybrids.

·
Registered
14,569 Posts
Drive pressure would be my biggest concern. IMO, drive pressure is the killer of stock turbos more than overspeed.

Like I said Mike, make sure your wastegate opens all the way.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts