Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my battery light has started sparatically coming on at idle and lower rpms, as I drive and increase rpm the guage goes back to normal and the light goes out....so I'm thinking my alternator is starting to take a dump.

I was looking up alternators for my truck and see that there is a listing for a 130, 165, and 215 amp alternator, anyone know if there is infact a 215 amp alternator available for these trucks and if they are a bolt on, or if it requires modifications?

If it is just a bolt on, I figured it would be a nice upgrade since I'm getting ready to install a winch.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
570 Posts
DC Power Engineering - Welcome

These guys have some awsome products. My cousin has one in his 95 f350 and he swears by it. They are almost nessiary if you are running a big sound system or a winch big enough to pull our trucks. They are a a little pricey but imo worth it. Diesel power mag just did an article on installing one in their 97 f350 a few months ago. When I get the coin this is the route I'm gonna go.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DC Power Engineering - Welcome

These guys have some awsome products. My cousin has one in his 95 f350 and he swears by it. They are almost nessiary if you are running a big sound system or a winch big enough to pull our trucks. They are a a little pricey but imo worth it. Diesel power mag just did an article on installing one in their 97 f350 a few months ago. When I get the coin this is the route I'm gonna go.
That does look nice, but I'm going on a budget here, I can have mine rebuilt but I also work for a salvage yard, and can get the 215 amp ambulance units at a good price as well, so I thought if it was a good upgrade with minimal mods I would go that route.

Justin

·
oil burner
1,136 Posts
id just go look at one from an ambulance to get an idea since it sounds like you have access to one,i dont think theyd be too much different.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
id just go look at one from an ambulance to get an idea since it sounds like you have access to one,i dont think theyd be too much different.
I don't have one here, I'll have to order it in, so I can't go look:(

·
PSN Lurker
47 Posts
I was told by my buddys dad who swapped to it that you have to buy the belt for the ambulance package cause it's longer than ours.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The alternator bolts right on with longer bolts. Need the ambulance belt AND THE WIRING HARNESS to take advantage of the extra power. Theres a thread somewhere with good pics & such as well as part numbers. I think the harness is $100-$150?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I found a thread on another board about swapping it, longer bolts, some earlier brackets may need to be clearanced, later ones do not. From my research the wiring harness is not longer available from ford, although I have not had time to check with a local motocraft dealer that may be able to get it. if not, I am going to make a new heavier gauge charge back wire and auxiliary ground wire.

Justin

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I would hope someone still makes them let us know. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts