Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on reading a post on here a while back, I bought 4 20" wheels with 275/65R20 LRE tires from an 07 for a steal.

I'm hoping that there is enough frame clearance to run them on my '99 2WD without using spacers.

I'm buying them for a few reasons. 1) They will look better. 2) Increased load rating (3750 per tire) 3) Lower engine RPM which will be a blessing when running empty and a big of a hindrance when pulling.

Wish me luck...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
good luck, but they won't work on pre 05's with out 2" wheel spacers. the offset is completely different.

Chad

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
With you being two wheel drive, you may have better luck with them fitting since you don't have leaf springs. Put them on and see how they fit, if they rub a little, put a spacer in there. Just be sure to post up some pictures when your all done.

-French

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking at commercial wheel adapters. I always thought that Superduty wheels centered on the lip on the hub and yet some of the adapters don't have a lip on the outer edge.

How does that work ?

Do they primarily center on the lug nuts ?

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
I have '08 20 king ranch wheels on my 02 4x4. All factory wheels are hubcentric. You need 2 inch wheel spacers to clear. My boss has 08 18 inch king ranch wheels on his 02 2wd, and they do rub. He went another route and counter sunk his wheels, and used regular spacers. I bought all 4 hubcentric. Fronts bolt up fine. But the backs are trickey. I had to mill alittle off the inside of the hubcentric ring, pull the axles out of the rear housing, slide the spacers on and put the axles back in. Not to difficult after i machined the spacers, since they are floating axles.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have '08 20 king ranch wheels on my 02 4x4. All factory wheels are hubcentric. You need 2 inch wheel spacers to clear. My boss has 08 18 inch king ranch wheels on his 02 2wd, and they do rub. He went another route and counter sunk his wheels, and used regular spacers.
What do you mean by that ? What exactly did he do ?

I bought all 4 hubcentric. Fronts bolt up fine. But the backs are trickey. I had to mill alittle off the inside of the hubcentric ring, pull the axles out of the rear housing, slide the spacers on and put the axles back in. Not to difficult after i machined the spacers, since they are floating axles.
That is interesting because the 08 wheels were a little tight on my rear hubs when I put them on. I can still get them off, but it takes a kick or two.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up my 08 20" wheels and mounted them up.

For reference, from the hub face of the wheel to the outermost bulge of the tire (265/75R16) on my stock 16" wheels was a little less than 5". From the hub face to the outermost bulge of the tire (275/65R20) on my new 20" wheels is 7". So the offset difference is about 2 inches per side.

There was no clearance problem in the back except for the parking brake cable but that had clearance problems with the stock wheels too. I rerouted it completely and not it doesn't rub on the tire.

The fronts mount up just fine but the tires do touch the frame at full lock. Its still very usable.

Question of the day: What makes the front end of an 08 2WD 2" wider ? Do they use longer I beams ? Or are the hubs different ?

The reason I ask is because the 08 hubcaps won't fit over the hub because it sticks out too far. This leads me to believe that the 08+ axles probably just use a different hub that has a wider flange.

That leaves me wondering if the 08 hubs are just different. If they are, I will probably upgrade my '99 hubs to the 08 hubs and maybe do the brakes at the same time.

I am wondering if I would want 2" spacers. The wheels seem to stick further out even though they are only 10 mm wider. (275 versus 265).

I paid $800 for 4 20" 5 spoke wheels with tires with lugnuts, hubcaps and a spare tire. The tires are about 50% worn. I'll get a couple years from them as summer tires. The wheels are in perfect shape.

I've only done a short test drive but they seem to ride better. And my engine is quieter because its running slower. I think I am really going to like these tires.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will when I get done working on it and get it washed.

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
What i meant by milling the ring. If you take a look at a hubcentric wheel spacer, theres a protruding ring on the inside. Mimics the hub on your truck now. The fronts bolt fine as the hub clears the inside of the ring. The rears, the inside of the spacer is alittle smaller than the outside of the axle hub itself. If you look at your rear hubs. theres the bolt buldges where the axle bolts to the hub. I had to mill the center of the wheel spacer to clear all 8 (i believe its 8) bolt buldges on the hub. If i get a chance ill pull it off and get some pictures. Starting to get alot of these questions lately. As for my boss, he bought regular spacers. and counter sunk his wheel. I wasnt to fond of that route. We figured out what pitch the lug nuts were, Set it up on our endmill and counter sunk the wheel so he could use acorn lug nuts. Problem with that is, cant use ford hub covers.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for explaining that.

What I don't understand is how some spacers aren't hubcentric.

Take these for example:

4 Wheel Spacers Adapters Ford F250 F350 8 lug 03-09 2" : eBay Motors (item 280402430184 end time Apr-24-10 22:03:27 PDT)

The inner diameter of the spacer might fit on the hub center but there is no lip for the rim to sit on the spacer. How is that supposed to work ?

I don't want to rely on acorn nuts. My 20" rims don't have beveled lug nut holes that an acorn nut properly requires. I want to use stock Ford lug nuts.

Can anyone recommend a true hub centric wheel spacer ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I emailed the manufacturer. They replied that their spacers are "lug centric", not hub centric. That means they DON'T work with stock Ford wheels. I've asked them to consider producing hub centric adapters.

I'm also sending drawing to a local machine shop for a quote. Their water jet will cut aluminum up to 6" thick. I can finish them on my lathe.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No.

The 20" rims don't hit the caliper or anything else on the brake system. The 20s have way more room than the stock 16s.

They run just fine other than you can't turn the fronts full lock without rubbing and the rears are a little close to my air bags for my comfort.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
No.

The 20" rims don't hit the caliper or anything else on the brake system. The 20s have way more room than the stock 16s.

They run just fine other than you can't turn the fronts full lock without rubbing and the rears are a little close to my air bags for my comfort.
from what I remember people said that the rim would rub the caliper because the rim was closer to it offset wise, not height wise. do you have the rims on your truck?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, the rims are on my truck. Read the thread.

I have driven it about 50 miles and everything works great except the full lock rubbing and the air bag clearance.

The ride is nicer and the engine is quieter because it runs slower. I don't think I would ever go back to 16s.

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
from what I remember people said that the rim would rub the caliper because the rim was closer to it offset wise, not height wise. do you have the rims on your truck?

It doesnt have anything to do with rubbing the caliper. Its the offset of the wheel, they sit in 2 inches. And rub the spring about 3/4 turn. Here is what i got. The guy is a pretty stand up guy. He sent me 2 sets of lug nuts that werent included for free. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360226573192

·
F250 Black Cloud Edition
690 Posts
Heres my polished turd. 2002 on 08, 20 inch rims. Sitting just about right with the 2 inch spacers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts