Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, I beed a bit of help and knowledge.
I use my truck for towing, I have seen temp of 239* on the transmission towing about 16K lbs.

I'd like your input on the topic and what you guys recommend . I am looking to install an entry trans cooler to help with this issue. What do you guys think.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,074 Posts
I think adding a cooler is going to be a disaster. It's getting to that temp because the trans was designed to run hotter. It's normal for this trans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think adding a cooler is going to be a disaster. It's getting to that temp because the trans was designed to run hotter. It's normal for this trans.

I mean this thing was getting to the red side of the gauge. This is my first Diesel but my common sense told me that this was boiling hot.
Also, it felt that the Trans did not want to shift and it was loud as hell.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,074 Posts
If the gauge was moving into the red you may want to have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the gauge was moving into the red you may want to have the dealer look at it.

More like chasing the red line lol....got to 239*
I do have to say that it was in some massive hills. Colorado to be more specific. I only saw those temps when trying to maintain a somewhat of a speed limit. I stopped that and brought it to 25-30 miles per hr. Even big rigs go that slow so I figured I was doing something wrong.

·
Rookie diesel tech
103 Posts
i agree with mark, i would definitely go back and talk with the dealer about that, there could be a cooling issue with the trans.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues, they said they retuned the trans...whatever that means.
I have to take it back to look inside if it keeps happening.
Also, they said that they don't car about tuning the truck and adding performance parts and warranty been voided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any issues, they said they retuned the trans...whatever that means.
I have to take it back to look inside if it keeps happening.
Also, they said that they don't car about tuning the truck and adding performance parts and warranty been voided.

Had same issue with my 2017. Pulling a 10,000 lb fifth wheel trailer on a curvy road at 25 - 30 mph the trans temp got to 232 degrees. I was climbing and it was about 100 degrees. My old truck, a 2015 F350 pulling same trailer up longer grade on 100 degree day, the trans temp never went over 110 degrees.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 F350 dually that is doing the same thing however completely empty no trailer or anything. I had brought it to the dealership 6 times insisting that anything above 215 degrees was not normal as it states in the owners manual however they kept telling me my truck was fine. On the highway with cruise control set anything over 70 the trans would consistently run 232 degrees or hotter. The hottest I ever saw was 253 degrees but that time I was towing a 26' low boy with a 4 door 7.3L on it. I kept bringing it in because I had a 2012 6.7 f250 that with the same trailer with a obs 4 door 7.3L my transmission never saw above 208. They still tried to say it was normal. About a month ago I was cruising down the highway with cruise control set at 80mph with no trailer or added weight and the transmission was at 232 degrees then the transmission randomly downshifted to first gear and blew my drive shaft. The truck has been at the dealership for 3 weeks now and they put a new drive shaft in and they are still trying to say the transmission is ok. I almost got in a wreck because of it. All I have ever owned is Ford Trucks and I love them but this truck has been giving me a lot of trouble if anyone knows anything about this problem please let me know.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts