Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all need help here. I have a 2016 f350, with 10k miles. At 3000 miles when I hit a bump (60 mph+) the steering wheel would shake ughhh, I knew what its was right away, brought to dealer, they replaced balljoint on the track bar. Problem solved,,,, 7k later its back, this time the Dealer here in Staten Island NY (DANA FORD). Had the truck for a week, did no repairs said they just checked everything and it was in SPEC. I could not accept this Called Ford asked for a Service Repair technician to do a ride along and got a case number... DANA FORD Dragged there feet but a week later they said to come in for a test Ride. The "field service repair technician" that FORD was to send was the DANA Ford service manager, who refused to go for a test ride and sent me out with the check in clerk, need less to say we hit a bump and he almost crashed the truck....... MY STORY ISNT OVER YET... The Porter drove the Passenger side of the truck into the overhead door taking out both doors and part of the bed, SOOOOO noow its at the body shop for a week and than they have to look in to DEATH WOBBLE, I'm pushing for new track bar bushing, ball joint and Mount, steering stabilizer and new shocks, HARD to think with 10k miles all that is shot and words of wisdom???? Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dammit, since I drive a 20 year old truck all I can say is that is Fugged Up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it really is. I have to Say the dealer DANA FORD, really could care less about "taking care" of me. They have no interest in fixing the truck, I keep calling ford corporate and they say that they will look into it. Buy a brand new truck and have these issues. its very annoying

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I can't believe that he crashed it! It doesn't matter what your job title or relationship to the client is, you drive it like it's made of glass especially if your not familiar with it!! I don't know if I would trust them to "make it right" even if that meant driving or towing to the next dealer.... clearly they don't give a sheeit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
My truck rides on 37" tires and a 6" lift. I had the same problem. I have added a dual stabilizer with Fox 2.5 stabilizers, adjustable trac bar, moog drag link and replaced ball joints. It has been over 20k miles and it's been awesome. Fords front end is now cheap steel with junk front end parts.

It's a common problem for sure and Ford knows it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hello all.
OK so the truck is still at the dealer,,,, awaiting Approval for the fix..... ie trac bar joints (as per dealer) in total 22 days at the dealer,,,, Anyone ever use the WC motor sports track bar... All after market see to do away with ball joint and swap out bushing for Heim joint.... WC goes one step further and gives the caster shim to increase the caster. What do you guys think????

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
wow, that is very surprising to hear, we have never had anything but fantastic service from Dana Ford.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tom,
I thought they were great when they Fixed it the first time.. No problems etc... Than 7,000 miles later the problem was back... They kept saying the death wobble was just a "harsh bounce" and that's what these trucks do. They had the truck for a week told me they did many things ( alignment, rotate and balance tires etc) funny thing about the tire rotation, when I just got the truck got a nail in DS rear tire and plugged it,,, wouldn't you know after they balanced and rotated the tires the plugged tire was still in the DS rear,,,,, SOOOO than take how the porter crashed the truck into the building!!! ok Accidents do happen, and I am not an irrational person sooo I kept my cool etc but when I called the service manager a few days later I was treated like JUNK, when I asked them to hang new skins on the truck because I didn't want "body work" done to a new truck.
When I get the truck back from the repair is when I will be hitting the web and really letting people know how poorly I was treated by DANA Ford... Ford Corporate told me they will help were they can but the dealers are independently owned soooo they are not on the hook for anything
SOOO you tell me if this sounds like a place you would like to bring your car or truck tooo?????????

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
yes, Dana is a franchise dealership like most others.
the few times we have had our 6.7 service truck there was for bad exhaust sensors shutting it off. they always just replaced them all because it was easier than trying to diagnose which one was bad. but then again, we have done a lot of work there too.

for the death wobble, we fixed it on the 2014 F350 by replacing the shocks and steering stabilizer, which were shot after 75,000 hard miles.
the bilsteins made a world of difference in the ride too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom,

How many miles since you did the shock fix? As I will agree that shock replacement does mask/dampen the issue, the real reason for the Wobble is the suspension geometry, with stock set up, yes the track is some what parallel to the drag link but by design Ford could have done better. When I get it back I just plan on adding some caster and be done with it. as the ford spec has a wide range, if I can get 2 more degree's I think it will fix it, Why Ford doesn't just do that is beyond me, but I guess its the same reason why some trucks have the wobble and some don't, with such a wide spec range I guess that could be an weak answer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WEll Today I had some progress with the truck,,, got a call saying that they replaced a faulty track bar (I assume they meant ball joint and or bushing) plus they said that a shock was leaking. Its odd that they only got approval to replace one as you tend to do those in pairs, MAN 10,000 miles and a leaking shock.... FORD has to stop getting there parts out sourced, the truck is great and to skimp on the little things is soooo upsetting....
. LETS hope there body damage repair is good, as I am a tuff cookie when it comes to paint etc

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had a similar issue. I was just at the edge of the 3 year 36k warranty (gas truck) and I started to experience death wobble. Hit a bump, or driving in the rain would cause the wheel to shake so violently, I'd have to slow to about 20 mph to get rid of it. Ford blamed my tires (though still were the original set) blamed my improper use of the truck (not a cab and chassis, and I put a utility bed on it) and a few other things. I forced them to add some castor, and I think their acceptable range is up to +3* for a 2012, and that's all the farther they would go. That eliminated most of the problem. But for the last year or so and 3 sets of tires (I'd tried a used set too) I've had an intermittent shake. I have replaced shocks, trackbar and joint. Front end is tight.

Over this time when I balanced my tires, I'd noticed that one was a little out of round. And balancing tires for 15 years now I've never seen one cause an intermittent shake like this one, but last night I swapped my spare wheel in place and the truck finally drives smooth at 65 mph. Where as before it would intermittently. My truck has steel wheels. Just wanting to add a little info about what I've had to do to smooth my truck out finally. May help some others!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input, Well in my last post I had said they were changing the track bar (assumes bushing and or ball joint) and DS shock. when I picked up the truck turns out that they only replaced the DS shock as it hand no return and did nothing to the Track Bar. I was not happy with replacing one shock I went out got Bilstein 5100's all the way around plus there steering dampener too. The wobble is better but still there. going to go OK4wheel drive and have them do my alignment, and get some caster put in plus have them look at the track bar and see what they think.

BUT I HAVE A BIGGER PROBLEM the body damage repair that the dealer did was junk and DANA Ford seems to think that it is a good job!!! wavy body panels is not a good job to me , had and estimate from body shop at $4700... to fix it right!!!! UGHHHHHHH

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope it doesn't go that way, BUT I want my truck fixed sooooo I may have to. Funny thing I told DANA FORD I don't want anything from them, JUST FIX MY TRUCK. Other people would go for "blood" I just want it fixed and than never set foot at that dealership ever again!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello all UPDATE on the truck.

So the dealer on replaced the DS shock.... that's it nothing else after having the truck for 2 weeks after it got back from the body shop,,, never touched the track bar. Dove it home first highway speed bump and there was the wobble, it was less but still there!!!!! NOW I know that from building my own rock crawler jeep that putting new shocks and steering dampeners, are just a band aid, but the truck is stock and brand new....... SOOOOOO I did the Bilstein's 5100 all around plus dampener. IT IS WAYYYYYY BETTER the same bump at highway speed is a minor shake, lets see how long it lasts... I wanted to put more castor in but, spending 400 to do a wheel alignment a stock truck is NUTS ( yes that how much I was quoted to do the alignment)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Find a different alignment shop. Add 2* of castor.

But first have them tell you what it was initially. So you'll know what it was. IIRC mine ended up around +3.5* after they added to it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
good information, I have a '16 f350 with 18k miles on it, I just started to get the "death wobble" but also aside from the death wobble I'm getting a "bounce" the whole truck just starts bouncing while driving down the road mosty at highway speeds. feels like a bubble in the tire but its not, tires are fine and its not confined to one corner of the truck its the whole truck bouncing evenly. had a passenger the other day it did it they were like "dude whats wrong with your truck" anyone else experience this? any thoughts on whats causing it? thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.