Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,
Need your help. Not sure what the heck else to do. 2016 F-350 dual rear wheel service body. Foreman ran the truck about 60 miles before realizing he had filled it with gas. Truck was still running. Not great. But running. Ordered the contamination kit from Ford. Dropped the fuel tank and cleaned. Re-installed and ran about 15 gallons of diesel through the system. Installed the contamination kit, replaced the LPFP, fuel cooler, EGR delete, DPF delete, installed Mini Maxx tuner. Cleared all parameters and reset. Started and ran great...except...It'll rip through first to about the top of the gear and hit a wall. Low power the rest of the way through the gears. No power whatsoever up any sort of incline. Forget about towing anything. Removed tune and re-installed. No change. Checked defuel settings and turned off Pyro 1 as ive read the tuner can cause the readings to be incorrect. No change. I am now at a loss and do not know what to do. Contacted the the seller of the tune and they advised me to do what i had already done. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Are there any codes stored? Are there any other warning lights on on the dash? I would still lean toward a tuning issue

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only code stored is for the ambient temp sensor behind the right mirror. Nothing other than that. I do remeber the tuner being a little odd and i had to rename a flash file in order to get it to work. Ive used a lot of these tuners on 6.4s and you get an option to go stock, mild, and wild with the corresponding levels but this one gives me none of that. you download the tune, typical other stuff, tune trans, speed limiter, etc. but other than that nothing. Ive tried the different power levels with no change. Obviously now everything being deleted i cant "test" in stock any longer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumpin this thread if anyone else has a clue. I tried redownloading the tune with the same outcome. I dont know what else to do. It has to be a problem tuner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checkin to see if anyone has had any ideas about this dude. Ive left it parked and about to dig back into it. Trying not to set it on fire....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Drove the truck today and was able to get it to throw a code. P0087-00 put the truck into "reduced power"

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Low fuel pressure will definitely cause your issue.
You said you installed the full contamination kit, correct? Replaced all fuel system sensors I assume with it?

do you have something to monitor live data with? The IDS is preferred

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Low fuel pressure will definitely cause your issue.
You said you installed the full contamination kit, correct? Replaced all fuel system sensors I assume with it?

do you have something to monitor live data with? The IDS is preferred
Yes that is correct, but I do not understand where I’d be loosing fuel pressure. Contamination kit came with all new sensors. Filters were replaced with it although I’ve order some motorcrafts and will change them again on Monday. I have IDS and Triton D10. When I hold the pedal to the floor it’s commanding 29,000 psi but only reading 20,000 psi. I’ve done a lot of reading and seen a lot of guys have issues with the PCV valve. Particularly the proper torque. or the left fuel rail, or both. Also checked fuse 33 that is apparently a possibility too.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
I would look over your wiring pigtail really well for your FRPS.
What is your fuel pressure reading KOEO?

i haven’t seen anything with the CCV box cause low fuel pressure.

have you verified no suction restrictions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would look over your wiring pigtail really well for your FRPS.
What is your fuel pressure reading KOEO?

i haven’t seen anything with the CCV box cause low fuel pressure.

have you verified no suction restrictions?
Wiring and all look fine, all connections are tight.
High pressure engine off or low pressure?
Replaced filters with no change.
I have not tested for suction restrictions and dont really have a way to test that theory. based on my pressure readings i dont believe i have any restrictions. Crusing and stomping on the pedal it'll rip and take off for about a second and then drop off. wont hold. ive ordered a new valve and im going to test that theory next. Based on how it takes off and runs it does not seem like i have any pressure or delivery issues. It has to be some sensor or electronic issue. Its like the computer doesnt like what it sees and just defuels. Speaking of defuel, i did go through the tuner and turn off all defuel parameters.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Wiring and all look fine, all connections are tight.
High pressure engine off or low pressure?
Replaced filters with no change.
I have not tested for suction restrictions and dont really have a way to test that theory. based on my pressure readings i dont believe i have any restrictions. Crusing and stomping on the pedal it'll rip and take off for about a second and then drop off. wont hold. ive ordered a new valve and im going to test that theory next. Based on how it takes off and runs it does not seem like i have any pressure or delivery issues. It has to be some sensor or electronic issue. Its like the computer doesnt like what it sees and just defuels. Speaking of defuel, i did go through the tuner and turn off all defuel parameters.
we already know it’s defueling because of low pressure. Yes high pressure reading key on engine off. Have you measured low pressure supply? It sounds like the high pressure pump isn’t being supplied enough fuel for maximum power, or you have an injector returning more than it should. What are your balance rates?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we already know it’s defueling because of low pressure. Yes high pressure reading key on engine off. Have you measured low pressure supply? It sounds like the high pressure pump isn’t being supplied enough fuel for maximum power, or you have an injector returning more than it should. What are your balance rates?
High pressure 5646psi
low pressure 75psi
Pics of balance rates and all under heavy acceleration. Fuel volume control seems curious. Decreasing under accel instead of increasing. As well injectors 3,4,5,8.
Im not very familiar with the new motors and all as much as i am the older power strokes. Trying to read and learn as much as i can. Ive not come across anything like this.
Product Output device Font Gadget Communication Device
Font Handwriting Gadget Publication Rectangle
Handwriting Product Font Line Rectangle

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Your key on engine off high pressure reads 5646? That is incorrect if that’s the case. It should read close to 0.
If you could also get a picture of the IDS graph of balance rates all together at idle when warm that would be great. Volume control should go down with throttle. It’s returning less fuel when doing that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your key on engine off high pressure reads 5646? That is incorrect if that’s the case. It should read close to 0.
If you could also get a picture of the IDS graph of balance rates all together at idle when warm that would be great. Volume control should go down with throttle. It’s returning less fuel when doing that.
That all makes sense then. And i was wrong that was commanded pressure. It is at 0.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went ahead and pulled the fuel return lines from the injectors one side at a time and pinching off from the opposing side and observed no fuel from the injectors when commanding the fuel pump on.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Were all the IQA codes programmed when the injectors were replaced? What is the ACTUAL KOEO high pressure reading? Not commanded. Cylinders 5 and 6 are a little suspect for brand new injectors

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Were all the IQA codes programmed when the injectors were replaced? What is the ACTUAL KOEO high pressure reading? Not commanded. Cylinders 5 and 6 are a little suspect for brand new injectors
Yes sir, oops..didn’t mean to assume your gender 😂all programmed. Triple checked. Actual reading is 0.

·
Super Moderator
5,537 Posts
Where did you get the pump from? Have you pulled the VCV back out to see if there is any debris in it? An injector may not leak by at 75 psi but certainly could at 20,000. The difficult part is narrowing down which one(s).

when the engine is at full temperature, does it have an extended crank before starting?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts