Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New to this forum. I used to own a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 diesel. I consistently got 17 mpg. Earlier this year, bought a clean used 2016 F250 Platinum 4x4. After many tank fill ups, seems the best I can get is around 14 with mostly fwy driving. 50/50 mix of city / highway delivers no better than 12. Talked to many owners of like trucks and everyone seems to be getting way better than me. Been to the dealer and they claim they can find nothing to explain this. Anyone have any ideas?

·
7,984 Posts
what gear ratio? that will make a big difference on MPG.
we have a 2014 that is almost always loaded, and it is averaging 14 mpg.

·
CascadeF250
1 Posts
I have a 16 F350 with 331 Gearing. I get around 15 to 16 miles per gallon with part freeway in part town driving. All freeway driving I can get about 17 to 18 at highway speed’s. I get around 12 miles per gallon pulling a horse trailer or a 12,000 pound fifth wheel. Your mileage does seem a bit low. If you are burning winter some people say they get less mileage . Driving habits can also have a effect . Do you drive fast? Do You accelerate rapidly? A very dirty air filter can effect the way a engine performs some what. Sorry no real answers for you.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,806 Posts
as the first 6.7s were getting mileage on them several years back, i recall a lot of people talking about excessive DPF filter regens eating up a lot of fuel, but I don't remember if it was isolated or something that was addressed with new software... something to think about :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
2015 F250 6.7

Light foot on highway ~19 MPG at 60 MPH. That's keeping RPMs under 1800 when accelerating...really, really, really boring!

Towing and normal driving combined 14-16 MPG.

Towing 7,000 lbs 10-11 MPG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So apparently I have a 3.55 gear ratio. I don't have the knowledge to know if this is a factor or not. I also notice quite a lag in engine response if I hit the accelerator to pass someone. I never had these issues with the old 7.3 and am starting to regret replacing it... Any other ideas appreciated.

Attachments

·
7,984 Posts
yes, 3.55 gears is the issue. those gears are for 75 mph highway driving. add larger than stock tires into the mix and gas mileage goes into the dumps when slow driving.
4.10 is a much better gear for mixed driving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts