Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am deleted with H&S Mini max tuner 5" from down pipe back no muff or converters, cold air intake. I just noticed it seems like a lack of low end boost and when I get in the throttle I am sending a lot of black smoke out. This is more than this truck ever smoked, at full throttle I am getting 19 to 20 psi of boost no more. I am not getting any noises, I am not getting any leaks that I can hear or see. I did get a P1247 code for low boost pressure the other day. It seems like when I am going up hill if the truck lugs down I almost have to floor it to get it down shift and take off. At top end it runs good.
I have cleaned Map sensor, check for cracks in the tubes and hoses and nothing.
Fresh oil change and fuel filters are 4000 miles ago and new air cleaner in January.
Would a stuck actuator on the waste gate cause this or any insight would be awesome!!!!

·
Administrator
9,168 Posts
sounds like a leaking intercooler boot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought also and I have searched all over I cant find any cracks or holes. I would imagine if it is making that much smoke it should be a substantial opening in the boot? Also if there was a big cut I shouldn't make 20lbs of boots at WOT should it? I even cleaned my map sensor today, that wasnt very bad at all.

·
Administrator
9,168 Posts
i don't remember what boost on a 6.7 is supposed to be.
but on my old kenworth when it split a boot i could still easily make 20 lbs boost because the twin turbos would pop 60 lbs at full load.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2014 F350 6.7 deleted and tuned
update,
I have now changed the following
All inner cooler boots and pipes
map sensor
waste gate actuator
cleaned MAF
new air filter 3 months ago is good and clean
oil has been changed ( no fuel or water in oil at all )
Took my tuner to factory settings and reinstalled everything. I tried all tuner settings also hot/street/stock/tow none make any diff.
Injector #7 was showing a value in the millions so I replaced that. it was gummed up

Truck runs good makes 22# of boost at WOT, but when your cruising like 40 and need to step on it to pass or some thing it pours black smoke until it down shifts and takes off. Once its spooled and going it clears up mostly. If I am cruising 40ish and just step on it a little it just smokes like crazy. I am ready to burn this dam truck in the drive way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am far from an expert on these engines, but we just took our f550 to the ford dealer because of a lack of power. The tech said he probably knew the issue without even looking at it. Evidently there is some kind of plug on the turbo which loosens up and fails from age and oil getting into it and loosening it up. We haven't gotten the truck back yet for me to verify this, but try giving the turbo a once over and see if you can find something wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am far from an expert on these engines, but we just took our f550 to the ford dealer because of a lack of power. The tech said he probably knew the issue without even looking at it. Evidently there is some kind of plug on the turbo which loosens up and fails from age and oil getting into it and loosening it up. We haven't gotten the truck back yet for me to verify this, but try giving the turbo a once over and see if you can find something wrong.

I had it on the computer tonight it seems like I have a ton of back pressure that may be making my turbo dump boost as it is showing over 50# of BP at like 12# of boost and when the truck is off its telling me its got 39# of back pressure so I am thinking the dam sensor is bad. So I am going to swap that out tomorrow if my steelership has the part for $100,000.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
On the old 7.3s there was also a tube that the sensor was attached to. The tube can plug up as well. Not sure how the 6.7 is setup.

Cj

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes there is a tube on the 6.7 as well and when your truck is deleted its not to awful to access to I will be removing all of it today and adding new sensor/cleaning the tube out to be safe. THANKS!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I spoke with the person who actually dropped our F550 off today. He said the tech told him it was the boot which came loose from the turbo, not a plug of some kind. I know you said you already inspected the boots and may have found the real culprit, I just don't want to send someone else on a wild goose chase!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope I am still working on it!!!! I did change the back pressure sensor and cleaned tube both were not very dirty but changed any way and still no better. I am at wits end with this truck and I am ready to call the dealer as I am out of options. Yes I did change the boots and pipes to the innercooler and I had the innercooler checked for leaks

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
It sounds like the unison ring on the turbo is stuck or sticking from either carbon or rust providing the EBPS tube is clean and clear. Any change in Readings with new sensor?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed the MAF yesterday and still the same, so I am guessing that its either the ring or the slides are cracked someplace. I have had the $hits of it completely so its going to Ford tomorrow to have them look at it. I have a trip planned next month and I need this all fixed and running good no more time to mess with it. I haven't put the scanner back on since the last few changes (its a friend of mines scanner and not real close by) Thanks for all the responses and when I get an answer or its fixed I will post what the issue was so if any one else ever has this issue they may have a better starting point for repair.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts