Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm in Jacksonville Florida. I have a 2011 Ford f250 XL super duty with manual doors. I want to swap them with power doors that have power windows power mirrors power locks the doors I have came from a 2012 the plug connection is the same it's just having an issue with the wiring harness and what to do if I haven't posted enough content in the video let me know in the comments I can make another video showing more stuff if you need to see anything else on my truck I forgot to take a video of the fuse box so you could see exactly what I have and don't have it's very difficult when trying to Google you know manuals wiring diagrams and finding exactly what you need because when you try to Google certain things it pulls up everything else that you don't need but I need help on trying to swap these doors and do it correctly without having to pay thousands of dollars at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
it does not work because your trucks computer is not set for power windows and locks.
you will need to turn them on using a reprograming tool like forscan.

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does not work because your trucks computer is not set for power windows and locks.
you will need to turn them on using a reprograming tool like forscan.
Ok how do I get a forscan? So all I need is to put the doors on and let someone rescan it for me? I don't need to redo the harness at all? I don't know much at all that why I'm asking for help and advice to do it right. Thank you very much

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
forscan is a computer program that is very hard to use if you are not familiar with computer programs.
and i doubt if the dealer will do it for you either.
when i converted my 04 to power windows and power locks, i ran my own wires because they were not in it.
does the 2011 have the wiring harness that goes from driver door through the computer to passenger door?

on my 04 there were 32 wires in the driver door for power window and door lock function.
when i was done rewiring there were 6 wires.

Reactions: Red Lion

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
forscan is a computer program that is very hard to use if you are not familiar with computer programs.
when i converted my 04 to power windows and power locks, i ran my own wires because they were not in it.
does the 2011 have the wiring harness that goes from driver door through the computer to passenger door?

on my 04 there were 32 wires in the driver door for power window and door lock function.

I'm not sure how the harness runs at all. That why I'm posting here because I thought someone could tell me exactly what to do and how to do it. I know I can't be the only person in America to try this Swap at all.

·
Premium Member
9,187 Posts
well, like i said, everything is run by the computer. these trucks are not like the old non computerized trucks pre 1985 where if we wanted an option we could just add it and it would work.
it takes a few hours of computer reprograming just to get steering wheel controls to sync with the radio so they work.
power windows and power locks in like i said around 35 wires give or take, and a computer reprogram.

Reactions: Red Lion

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 203176
View attachment 203177 View attachment 203178 View attachment 203179 View attachment 203180 View attachment 203181 View attachment 203182 View attachment 203183 View attachment 203184 View attachment 203185 I'm in Jacksonville Florida. I have a 2011 Ford f250 XL super duty with manual doors. I want to swap them with power doors that have power windows power mirrors power locks the doors I have came from a 2012 the plug connection is the same it's just having an issue with the wiring harness and what to do if I haven't posted enough content in the video let me know in the comments I can make another video showing more stuff if you need to see anything else on my truck I forgot to take a video of the fuse box so you could see exactly what I have and don't have it's very difficult when trying to Google you know manuals wiring diagrams and finding exactly what you need because when you try to Google certain things it pulls up everything else that you don't need but I need help on trying to swap these doors and do it correctly without having to pay thousands of dollars at the dealership.
[/QUOTE
View attachment 203176
View attachment 203177 View attachment 203178 View attachment 203179 View attachment 203180 View attachment 203181 View attachment 203182 View attachment 203183 View attachment 203184 View attachment 203185 I'm in Jacksonville Florida. I have a 2011 Ford f250 XL super duty with manual doors. I want to swap them with power doors that have power windows power mirrors power locks the doors I have came from a 2012 the plug connection is the same it's just having an issue with the wiring harness and what to do if I haven't posted enough content in the video let me know in the comments I can make another video showing more stuff if you need to see anything else on my truck I forgot to take a video of the fuse box so you could see exactly what I have and don't have it's very difficult when trying to Google you know manuals wiring diagrams and finding exactly what you need because when you try to Google certain things it pulls up everything else that you don't need but I need help on trying to swap these doors and do it correctly without having to pay thousands of dollars at the dealership.
hello I was wondering if you ever finished the swap I am currently trying to do the same thing on my truck. Thanks

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hello I was wondering if you ever finished the swap I am currently trying to do the same thing on my truck. Thanks
No I haven't yet. I don't know what to do at all. It seems as if no one else ever has ever tried to do this before I can't believe I'm the only one who has tried to do this or someone else knows how to do it they're just not giving step by step directions or trying to help at all

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I haven't yet. I don't know what to do at all. It seems as if no one else ever has ever tried to do this before I can't believe I'm the only one who has tried to do this or someone else knows how to do it they're just not giving step by step directions or trying to help at all
I may have to find a better group to post this in where some can actually help me

·
Administrator
666 Posts
I really doubt you will find anyone that can tell you how to do it. All power door functions run through the body control module.
The only "easy way" to do it would be with aftermarket motors and switches, and you would have to run your own wires through the doors, and across the cab

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure how the harness runs at all. That why I'm posting here because I thought someone could tell me exactly what to do and how to do it. I know I can't be the only person in America to try this Swap at all.
Ah buddy, I feel your pain. I have a similar truck I will be doing this swap with eventually. But also haven’t got it completed sorted out either.

The people here already told you what you’ll need. But yeah, they haven’t really told you step by step the how. Likely because it takes a bit of research.

I stumbled upon your thread because I was hoping to find a easy confirmation if the BCM unit itself is different between the LX modes with or without power locks. My guess is the BCM itself is the same, and the only difference is the software settings. But as the guy said, it’s possible to need a different BCM. I was hoping to confirm this because I’d like to add auto locks controlled by the key without a additional fob. I’m unsure if the BCM has the receiver internally or not. It would make sense to have a different BCM without a receiver to save some money for versions without power locks. I prefer the manual lock myself, but a button on the key would be ideal for myself. Just dunno if it uses the same antenna as the remote start detached antenna.

So here’s the real checklist. Your going to either choose to stick with OEM Ford controls and figure out the BCM and Forscan stuff… or choose to just make something isolated work. Since you’ve pulled the parts already, I imagine you want to stick with keeping it OEM.

So the tricky bit is finding the guy locally who’s familiar with forscan and has everything setup already…. Or studying up on the topic and figuring out how to get connected into it yourself. Buying the proper dongle / working forscan software / etc. Then finding a VIN (maybe the same one you pulled the parts from) and looking up the As-built data sheet for that one with power locks, then comparing it to yours without. At that point your going to find several differences and need to isolate specifically the power lock parts. Then back up your original as built flash, and attempt the changes….The forscan forum itself prolly would be more knowledgeable on tracking down the exact lines you need to change. A good dealer tech should know how to accomplish it also… but it comes at a risk if you change something wrong and the whole BCM dies…

·
Registered
2011 F250 xl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah buddy, I feel your pain. I have a similar truck I will be doing this swap with eventually. But also haven’t got it completed sorted out either.

The people here already told you what you’ll need. But yeah, they haven’t really told you step by step the how. Likely because it takes a bit of research.

I stumbled upon your thread because I was hoping to find a easy confirmation if the BCM unit itself is different between the LX modes with or without power locks. My guess is the BCM itself is the same, and the only difference is the software settings. But as the guy said, it’s possible to need a different BCM. I was hoping to confirm this because I’d like to add auto locks controlled by the key without a additional fob. I’m unsure if the BCM has the receiver internally or not. It would make sense to have a different BCM without a receiver to save some money for versions without power locks. I prefer the manual lock myself, but a button on the key would be ideal for myself. Just dunno if it uses the same antenna as the remote start detached antenna.

So here’s the real checklist. Your going to either choose to stick with OEM Ford controls and figure out the BCM and Forscan stuff… or choose to just make something isolated work. Since you’ve pulled the parts already, I imagine you want to stick with keeping it OEM.

So the tricky bit is finding the guy locally who’s familiar with forscan and has everything setup already…. Or studying up on the topic and figuring out how to get connected into it yourself. Buying the proper dongle / working forscan software / etc. Then finding a VIN (maybe the same one you pulled the parts from) and looking up the As-built data sheet for that one with power locks, then comparing it to yours without. At that point your going to find several differences and need to isolate specifically the power lock parts. Then back up your original as built flash, and attempt the changes….The forscan forum itself prolly would be more knowledgeable on tracking down the exact lines you need to change. A good dealer tech should know how to accomplish it also… but it comes at a risk if you change something wrong and the whole BCM dies…
Thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Where is the BCM? I've tried to YouTube it but my truck doesn't come up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Np, for what it’s worth, you are further along with getting it sorted out than I am… I haven’t even downloaded forscan or ordered a dongle yet.

I don’t actually know where the BCM location yet.

In this video at the 3min mark, he points at the passenger kick panel area, and says the BCM is there.

But you connect into it threw the OBD plug to do it’s work.

The video I linked should somewhat give some insight to ya of for that “as-built” data and comparison stuff to try and isolate the power locks thing.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I may have to find a better group to post this in where some can actually help me
The power door harness is part of the main dash harness. I doubt you could simply add power doors w/o replacing the whole under dash harness.
Using an aftermarket kit would be the easiest way to go, but still a lot of wiring work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you do end up going DIY for programming the unit and buy yourself a dongle to connect. I’d be very interested to hear where and what you ended up buying that worked.(y)

I haven’t done nearly enough research on getting forscan up and running myself. But it will be a inevitable task I’ll have to undertake eventually.

Im focusing more on getting remote start & remote lock-unlock / adding sync 1 features / digital cluster conversion / adding any radio-nav with sync retention / and a alarm system.

I’m pretty sure to get the locking setup I want, I’ll need to gut everything from doner like you had, except I will skip the door panel push buttons & automatic window motor parts. Just want the remote key buttons functions to work and keep manual windows.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts