Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 6400 miles on the 2011 2500 cclb.... This mornings fill up was from yesterday being driven empty... a not so stellar 13...far from the bragged 20...we've gotten 17 empty once... towing is usually at 10 or 11...but once cruising at 65 it goes up a little, according to the in dash computer.

We've had to fill the 'piss' bottle three times too. Supposed to last thousands of miles I thought? Anywho...It handles better than the 09 we have but the power difference isnt noticeable. We already have some binding/vibrating issues when taking off. Im assuming its driveshaft related.

Its a nice truck but Im unsure of it still.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
The more you tow the more you have to fill the bottle from what I was told.

·
1,096 Posts
About 2,000 miles on a bottle of urea?

How much does a bottle set you back?

How often does the exhaust filter thingy regen?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they say that a bottle/tank of urea will last 5k miles...thats under the guise that you will get over 15mpg. More fuel you use the more urea. The exhaust sounds different than the 10 and older too. More swishy...

Im assuming that the dealerships would like to fill the urea bottle at your 5kmile scheduled service. I dont know how much that CRAP is per bottle.

The 11 is pulling all the time...so I think that is lengthening the duration of time between regens...in the 11 Ive only been aware of it once...I dont ride in it all the time tho. Just most of the time...ha ha

That thing pulls like a friggin freight train is all IM gonna say. Stopping is, meh, alright at best. There was some weird green dust/film on the pass side near the tailpipe. Im not sure if it came out of the exhaust though.

I dont like the frontend on htis truck. That is my biggest dislike. The lights look like an afterthought....

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn't you get a Powerstroke?
Its my bosses truck...I asked them why they didnt get the 'good' kind...two of the foreman are diehard chevy guys. The one who has the 2011 simply said "we have two short guys. One can barely get in the toolboxes now. That ford sits alot higher. He wouldnt be able to reach the ladder racks".

That is why we have all dmax's...whatever..

·
1,096 Posts
My Powerstroke is the only Ford I've ever owned and they are different from Chevvies.

Built like a tank. And as heavy as one. 258,000 miles and no major problems since they worked out the CPS.

I have a nice 96 Impala SS but it feels cheesy compared to the Super Duty.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are overbuilt, no doubt, but they are good trucks, imo. The ford that is.

The new chebby is right at 400 horses. We have an 09 that supposed to have 375...the 07's are 350...the 09&11 feel the same when accelerating which is much more gutsy than the 07. Even with the dpf they have more power. I will say the 11 psd I was testdriving felt like it had more power. The dmax just feels swishy on the accelerator...

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We put the weatherguard boxes/ladder rack in the second 2011 Chevy dmax cc/lb and took it to our window job this morning in Bloomingdale, IL. Its a granite colored unit with black interior. The inside of this one is nice to look at for now. The power is more crisp. The older '11 feels swisy and blah on the pedal and goes thru urea catalyst at a rate of twice the advertised rate. This new one sits higher, runs better and actually looks better.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New update on the 2011 duramaxes that we are using for work: #2(purchased about a month ago) has a shade under 2k miles on it. #1 is, believe it or not, sniffing 10k! I didnt realize we'd gone that far in it already. Today when I showed up for work neither of them were there. The one 06(spare), the 07(hooked up to a tandem axle,16' enclosed trailer), and one of the guys personal 07 dodge 6.7 were enlisted for todays job. The 2011's were both froze up. We were blaming the fuel but they were all fueled up the same place the day before. We arent sure if the urea catalyst froze or the diesel gelled. My guess is numero uno. Frozen catalyst. Its freezing point is 17*. Bosch said the fords have an insulated tank that they draw the urea into upon shutdown or if the fluid reaches a certain temp to avoid freezing. They couldnt give any info about the gm.

Anybody feel free to chime in! Four dmax's were filled up with at least 20gal of diesel from the same station, same pump and two identical ones gelled the older ones did not.

I did blame and verbally place blame on the guys running the trucks even though none of the four trucks were given additives. I told them a month ago, several times, to quit running bio and buy the 100% petrol from the sister station in town. Laziness prevailed and the trucks wouldnt run.

Anybody seen anything similar? I know the older trucks we had did wax/clog filters but again you cant rely on the service station to provide fuel that wont wax. Even though they should. Kerosene works well for that....

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The newest 2011 reached a record 6.7 mpg while pulling today in the near zero temps. Im wondering if the fuel mileage will go up when we get some miles on her? Its getting 10 most of the time, towing or not.

These trucks are finnicky when it comes to fuel. The DEF does NOT help mileage as is claimed. Any Ford owners have a second opinion?

This thread is getting no love. Its a boring read but I see people on this forum who are buying dmax's all the time.

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
SCR's do in fact improve mpg (everything else being equal) for a couple of reasons.

1) Because you are now dealing w/ NoX in the exhaust system you can run less egr/ higher heat/ better combusion in the actual combustion chamber primarily thru advanced timing. This more efficient combustion results in more hp and improved mpg.

2) Because of #1, the engines produce less soot/ PM. Soot is created thru cold combustion while and NoX is created thru hot combustion. This means the DPF catches less soot and therefore needs fewer regens.

I was told that if the egr responded faster and if not for start up pollution that the modern Big Rig engines would be legal w/ no DPF at all now that we have SCR.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@ Suns-Im not saying the idea isnt supported with data, Im saying that if you take a 2009, or anything older than the 2011 dmax, and compare fuel mileage it is NOT helping. Our newest one, granted its cold and it only has 5000miles, is gettin under 10 all the time....waaaaay under 10. The older 2011 is under 12 constantly. The older ones are getting 13-16. They all pull trailers, get driven empty, and generally certain trucks arent designated for this or that. They all do it all. The def-using trucks are gettin much worse fuel mileage than the ones that have just the dpf, as well as the 07&older that have no emissions to speak of, besides an egr.

Im by no means a cesspool of useless knowledge when it comes to the dmax but I use em everyday. The 20mpg that gm advertised is a dream, or a lie depending on how you look at it.

The f250 sc/sb that I testdrove with the 6.7 psd was showing 18-18.5 on the trip computer with me driving it and 16 with my hand calculation. Thats not 20 either but its much closer.

Sunspsd, the newest 2011 dmax has only had one regen and it was sitting at idle when it happened. The remaining 09 dmax we have NEVER does it. But it gets run HARD. I think if people #####foot around in them they will regen much more. You were correct there! The fuel mileage is NOT improved all else being equal. Why do you suppose that is?

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If even one person reads this it'll be worth it. The truck this thread was started about is a 2011 chevy cc/lb 4wd silverado with the duramax. It is a work truck that I drive. Its not in my name.

I took it in last week for a 25k mile oil change and told them its using much less DEF since they reflashed it in May of 11 but isnt producing much power pulling the trailer. Changed the oil and had to take it back Wed this week to get a new tuning strategy put on it. HOLY ####E!! Its pulling great now. Fuel mileage is at 13 mpgs now pulling the trailer. Buuuuuuut the low coolant/add coolant now message is being displayed in my driver message center....:doh:

Take it in next week again. Its running so good I dont feel that inconvenienced by it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i work for gm at the proving grounds up here in milford and believe it or not i'm a diesel tech who works on these along side the engineers everyday. some of what you are saying is infact somewhat true others not so much. ill get some evidence shortly and shed some light. these are great trucks i have first hand seen the tests they go through and the output and mpg's they are capable of.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
i work for gm at the proving grounds up here in milford and believe it or not i'm a diesel tech who works on these along side the engineers everyday. some of what you are saying is infact somewhat true others not so much. ill get some evidence shortly and shed some light. these are great trucks i have first hand seen the tests they go through and the output and mpg's they are capable of.

Gm proving grounds for proof and what good trucks they are. :pointlaugh:LOL

Your eyes have to be brown to be that full of ####.

·
<----Nice headlights!!!
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dont take this the wrong way, but , hey @$$hole, I dont think you've put as many miles on these as I have. The stuff Im telling you cant be somewhat true and some not so much since Im living exactly what Ive posted. This is for information to somebody that may or may not be looking for real world testing. All that you 'know' working for GM doesnt matter. Im pretty sure you dont test everytruck. You should also be aware by now that during manufacturing there are tons of variables that affect the overall end quality of each truck. Mines had some problems. If my name was on the check that purchased it the sumbitsh would have been gone. Sadly, I would have missed out on the driveability that it has now after 25k miles and three flashes.

The thing is the low coolant light/add coolant light is on now. The coolant is in fact low and its not on the ground or in the oil. Its going somewhere though. I'll fill it up Monday.

Fwiw, my father's cousin was an engineer for GM and he was a bumbling retard. He retired in the late 90's.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts