Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last month or so my transmission has been making a high pitch "squealing" type noise in second gear. There does not seem to be any real pattern to it. It did it 4 times today and hasn't done it for a few days. There does not seem to be any physical/mechanical symptoms. It seems to do it most often when making a turn. I have occasionally heard it start to squeal in first right before it shifts. No codes and no drivability issues. I have been unable to make it do it under heavy throttle as well.
Any ideas? Only issue I have had is on very rare occasions it will take several seconds to go into reverse. It will go months without doing that.

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went out tonight and did a bunch of start and stops and put it into manual mode and started in second. I was able to make the same steel type noise. Only in second gear..

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it doesn't look like anyone has experienced this issue on here. I was able to recreate the noise which more accurately sounds like a fan belt squealing. It sounds like it is coming from dead center of the transmission, occasionally it sounds electrical in nature which is leading me towards a solenoid issue. Hopefully it is not something internal. Drove 240 miles today and it made the noise a few times but continues to work flawlessly. I would say it shifts a little on the firm side in the morning when cold and has done that since new. Hope to get an idea of what it could be before I take it in and they tell me nothing is wrong with it....or i need a 8k trans!
Any thoughts?

·
<---F350 DRIFTER
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer diagnosed it as a leaking exhaust manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts