Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed 200cc injectors and now i am needing a turbo. I am waiting to get tunes till i get the turbo so what turbo do i get. I was considering a powermax just for the cost and ease of install. I was also looking at a bullseye 64mm turbo, they have two differet version. I tow a mud truck maybe three times a year, and otherwise just a daily driver and weekend play toy. So when i tow i will take it easy. Also considering water meth to lower the egt's and an extra power adder. Just wondering. Also the cheaper the price the better. Thats also why the powermax is taaking the lead. Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
387 Posts
power max is a good option, I had hypermax 190 cc in my 6.0 and had a stage two vgt then an elite HO, both great turbos. Elites was too big to tow with. I also used water meth and it worked great, but really it is not needed... my buddy runs a power max with 190cc inj and he tows everyday, and it works awesome... just do research and do it right the first time..

·
Reppin' the 6.4L
2,341 Posts
That is gonna suck to tow with!!

·
WINNING
1,325 Posts
IMO, I'd go with a 64mm non vgt turbo with a .70 housing on it. It is going to suck towing, but with water/meth, it would be a lot better. When I had my 190's and 62/70 non VGT, it sucked towing my brothers truck down to Texas. Ran about 1,300* the whole way down!

The powermax is a great turbo, but you will run out of air on top quickly unlike you will with the non VGT. Just my opinion.

-French

·
I Love Work'N On Hot Rods
1,549 Posts
Not sure if it's available or not but if possible get a diverter valve for a 64mm non-VGT turbo. As already mentioned you will get way more air up top than with a powermax. It will cost more than the powermax but IMO should, if set up right, be able to handle the towing duties you would need it for and give some good ponies for the street. Just my $.02

·
BRING DA AMBALAMPS
1,952 Posts
for a fun dd toy, the powermax is a perfect match for my 190's (mine were actually flowed a little more than 190.) great spool up and decent temps. could use some air on the top end but it still flows pretty close to a 64. also, I dyno'd 534 / 1211 yesterday with my setup.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I wouldn't go powermax with anything over 190s, but for towing purposes the VGT will help. If you tow though, the best option overall would be a set of twins IMO

Just for starters though, what's the heaviest you would be towing and how far? on average

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for a fun dd toy, the powermax is a perfect match for my 190's (mine were actually flowed a little more than 190.) great spool up and decent temps. could use some air on the top end but it still flows pretty close to a 64. also, I dyno'd 534 / 1211 yesterday with my setup.
Thats kinda the power i was looking for. Ya i would like the powermax for the cost. and even if i get it and run it for a while then it comes time for an upgrade it seems like the powermax has a good resell value.

As for towing I tow a 1974 f150, regular cab long bed, trailer is only rated for 7k maybe anywhere from 50-150 miles. then maybe once in 4-5 years i will go cross country with that to move for the navy. and thats probably what it is at. So i dont tow that much anyways.

EGT probe should get here tomorrow hopefully and install it then see what egts are with stock turbo. If i can get a 64mm non vgt with a t3 housing so i can get the diverter valve for later that would be good. probably the best situation but i am working around the 1k value range maybe up to 1500 for the right turbo. Thanks for all the input though.

Wife says I dont care what it cost, just clean up the black smoke:blah:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya that's why I am hoping to get a 64mm non vgt then get a diverted valve later. As money come s in

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I would think a 64/71 with a divided .70 T3 housing and bd valve would work well. Dont expect it to clean up the sticks but tuning will have that covered.

You could always run a 62/65/70 or 62/65/80 with diverter and will work VERY well towing and can still put out solid 500+ numbers. It will be smokey on a race file

You really need twins to really clear the 200's

But I think any of those will work, if you go with a non vgt eric is a tuning genius with them so you'll be in good hands

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Powermax n slap a batmowheel on it, seems to help up higher n air flow. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would think a 64/71 with a divided .70 T3 housing and bd valve would work well. Dont expect it to clean up the sticks but tuning will have that covered
Think this will be the best now where can I get that turbo

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Powermax n slap a batmowheel on it, seems to help up higher n air flow. Worth a shot.
this is exactly my thoughts. I would go with a powermax with the batmowheel. I hear some guys saying that the 200's are waaaay to much fuel for the powermax....but what some don't realize is...you can back fuel off through tuning to have a good tow tune built so that it wont smoke that much. The powermax with 200's will be absolutly fine. Just have a tow tune written to back some fuel off so it wont smoke or get too hot and i think you should be fine. Heck, i was running my 190's with a stock charger a few years back with no issues what so ever. I hardly ever tow, but i've got a tow tune that backs enough fuel off so that there's hardly any smoke and runs fairly cool.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Haha back in the day 190's and stocker was the ticket for us old folks lol.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
yupp haha im running 190s on a 03 turbo even with my race tunes its not that bad, like strokin6l said its all in the tuning. And if you're looking for a cheaper temporary solution a powermax with batmowheel is a great option.

You can get a 64/71/70 from RCD, Bullseye, Industrial etc... just make sure the housing is divided so you can throw a bd valve on there

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya like u all are saying powermax and tuning. I talked to eric a while back and he said get injectors if u don't have the money for injectors and a turbo, because he can controll the injectors with tuning. So I will go with a powermax first. And get tunes. Then maybe step it up later. Now just looking for a great deal on a powermax. Overall thanks for the discussion. Everyone here is a great help. Specially u old guys that ran 190's. And a stock turbo.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
get your powermax from Performance Truck Products, hands down best priced and Eric and Nate are GREAT guys to deal with. Super fast shipping too

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Ya we did. Ppl use to spray as well with that setup,

·
Registered
922 Posts
get a batmowheel also!!! it will def help with egts all around and flow more air!!! thats exactly what im going to do when i get my 175's in

1 - 20 of 86 Posts