Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. I've been a long time "lurker", but finally decided to post my question and give my MPG for anyone to use as a comparison. I have a 2008 F250 6.4 lifted 6in w/ 2 in spacers, 37 13.5 20 aggressive ATs, roof rack, cat/dpf delete, Superchips tuner etc. i've had the truck for a few months now and have hand calculated EVERYTHING. My first question is that my computer read out says I'm getting around 17 to 22mpgs. I was ecstatic about this until I calculated by hand. Consistently, I am getting 13.5 mpg in town, and a trip to and from NC (from Tampa without roof rack) I get 13.8 mpg. So essentially I am getting the same MPG on highway as in the city. I'm a careful driver and have a soft right foot. On the interstate I cruise around 75mph

Questions:
Why is my digital read out so far off?
Can I fix it to refelct a true readout? (i already have the tuner set to fuel saver and adjusted the tire size)
Does anyone else have a similar setup and can give me their MPG?
I know I can take off the roof rack and shrink the tires for better MPGS, but I like it the way it is now.
Any other ways i can try to improve fuel economy....without taking anything off my truck?
Thanks in advance. And here's a couple pics of my new baby!

·
1,084 Posts
Considering that you've done about everything else wrong from the standpoint of MPG, probably your sensible driving is all that saves you from 11-odd MPG results.

Another tuner won't change anything.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
It has been proven that better tuning will alter the mileage a 6.4 will get. 13-14 is not bad at all for what you have. My leveled ccsb 08 with 20's on 35 mud grapplers will get 15.2-16.5mpg depending on interstate or mixed back road and highway. Up from 7 I was getting before the tuner. All hand calculated, When I had an sct with KEM tunes the lieo-meter said 42mpg and I was getting 19-21, the mini maxx on this crew cab is almost spot on, But that still has canned tunes. I had an sct with IDP tunes on another truck and it would get 17-18mpg but trip meter said 22-24.

Here is a test a friend of mine did comparing two custom tuners to show mileage he got with both on a several thousand mile road trip.
MPG log - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I am debating another tuner, but just got back from the tire place and got my new set of Toyo's put on so the tuner will have to wait a little while. I drove about 92 miles to get to the tire place. Got 14.2mpg on the way there with old pro comp x-treme AT. Got 14.1 on way back with brand new Toyo MTs. I'm happy i didn't lose a whole lot of MPGs with the newer heavier tire, but didn't gain any either.

·
Registered
338 Posts
So you refuel your tank every 92 miles? That sounds excessive but it is the only way to calculate mpg so you must be doing it, right? Otherwise you would be depending on the computer which is not an accurate way to determine mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So you refuel your tank every 92 miles? That sounds excessive but it is the only way to calculate mpg so you must be doing it, right? Otherwise you would be depending on the computer which is not an accurate way to determine mpg.
I don't fill up every 92 miles, but did to get a good comparison on the old tires compared to the new tires. I fill up between E and quarter tank. Usually around 250 miles. Even when I do it that way i continue to get btwn 13.5 and 14.2mpg. guess i should be thankful for that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea I have stock suspension and tires and I get about 13.5 because I don't have the money for a SPF delete and tune yet not trying tonstealmyour thread but this couldmhelp us both what kind of tunes have you guys had success with as far as power, mpg?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am running 35" terra grapplers, age drop in filter, dpf delete with 5" exhaust and a sct tuner with kem tunes and on my trip to Florida and back I averaged 14.8 hand calculated. I don't mind the mileage as much as I mind the small fuel tanks in these trucks.

·
Beef
1,565 Posts
It has been proven that better tuning will alter the mileage a 6.4 will get. 13-14 is not bad at all for what you have. My leveled ccsb 08 with 20's on 35 mud grapplers will get 15.2-16.5mpg depending on interstate or mixed back road and highway. Up from 7 I was getting before the tuner. All hand calculated, When I had an sct with KEM tunes the lieo-meter said 42mpg and I was getting 19-21, the mini maxx on this crew cab is almost spot on, But that still has canned tunes. I had an sct with IDP tunes on another truck and it would get 17-18mpg but trip meter said 22-24.

Here is a test a friend of mine did comparing two custom tuners to show mileage he got with both on a several thousand mile road trip.
MPG log - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Whats up amigo!
True, the 6.4 gets better mpg tuned vs not, due to the DPF regen cycle being turned off and increased rail pressure. Additionally, the advanced timing of the higher HP, data wise, is showing a slight increase over the tow programs.

On a 7.3, a tuner made no difference for my 2002.

OP,
I firmly believe a tuner w/ dpf delete will help a 6.4 whereas a 7.3 will probably show little to no improvement. Supposedly a 6.7, w/ a tuner and even the DPF still on, shows some improvement as well.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Hand calculated my last trip I used just around half a tank and went 283.9 miles. Filled up at half a tank with another 15 gallons. When I'm on road trips I aim for mileage so that is driving like a saint, staying out of boost, and staying off the brake/avoid hard accels at any time. Best I've seen was 21/22ish before I lifted. City wish I'm 13-14ish. Still not bad considering I'm lifted with 20's/35's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts