Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the motor in my 6.4 what would be the best motor to drop in it for power and a long life how much would it cost to put a 5.9 in it or could I put a ford 6.7 in it any help would be nice

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
a 6.7 would be cool but i imagine the tag on one of thoses would be close to 10k
if it were mine i would just drop another 6.4 in it properly maintained it will last a long time

·
Registered
231 Posts
I changed the oil ever 3000 miles tho and the tag on them are about 12 installed
You could do a 5.9 swap but that might be a outrageous cost for all the parts motor PCM wire harness etc. I would drop another 6.4 in or sell. My friend had 80,000 on his 6.4 blew it put a new engine in ARP studs head gaskets injectors Elite Diesel Tow Power X turbo(S) EGR Delete with waste gate AFe intercooler. Guess what it blew again. The culprit #8 injector hung open and fried #8 Cyl still runs but its running on 7 cylinders.

·
they call me tater salad
298 Posts
the 6.4 is a good engine you always hear more about the bad than the good but that goes for anything but there are things have have a run of bad luck all you can do is properly maintain and address issues when they happen the reast is out of your hands, drop another 6.4 delete everything stud it and tune it you will be very happy. #### happens hopefully your next engine will last

·
Registered
406 Posts
I blew the motor in my 6.4 what would be the best motor to drop in it for power and a long life how much would it cost to put a 5.9 in it or could I put a ford 6.7 in it any help would be nice
light a match and walk away

·
Justaworktruck
396 Posts
Ours did the same thing. Wouldn't buy another 6.4l. If the itch is there go with a CR cummins, I believe a 6.7 cummins has been done with good results. Conversion will run you 15k plus or 10k to do it yourself (approx).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Justaworktruck
396 Posts

·
Justaworktruck
396 Posts
Know it. It blew a hole through then rubbed side wall. The engine is wrapped up in the storage shop, will try to take a pic of piston.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sell the truck to someone else without engine. I'd do the CR Cummins conversion. Preferably a '08 6.7 Cummins so its legal swap wise and easy to sell if you want later.... My '05 Excursion 6.0L blew and I debated doing a common rail Cummins swap due to $...well I rebuilt and bulletproofed my 6.0L myself and parts alone were $13k.. so for $13k I could have done a Cummins common rail swap and been happier.. just saying.
What specs does the '08 have?
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an 08 job 1 with a 155k on it. I bought it with a 132k last March. I've deleted and studed it. It's been the best truck I've ever owned I wouldn't trade my 6.4 for the world. I work on CumminGs all day there a pile of #### oil leaking turd you would be better off sticking with a 6.4. if you want a Cummings go buy a dodge. because the amount of wiring you'll have to deal with is ungodly. I've done 2 swaps in an 04 with a 24v and an early 03 with a 12v swap and there a royal pain in the ass to work on. but that's just my 2 cents. good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
6.4L Have to lift cab to work on it. don't have to do that with a cummins swap.
how hard is it to swap injectors?..or do glow plugs etc..its abitch on the ford. Oil leaks?.. my 6.0L was the worst oil leaker i've owned.. the bed seals and the valley were covered in oil and debris.. Only way to fix is to PULL THE ENGINE OUT! Only leaks you can get on a cummins are valve cover, tappet cover, or oil pan, maybe a rare front cover...not to hard to solve those with cab on... How many cummins in the 400k plus club?? how many 6.4L's in that club? with out major work??

Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
102 Posts
then you have no idea how to work on a Ford. I do 99% of the work,in the cab, but hey don't let me tell you what to do with your truck all I'm saying is the a pile of #### oil leaking turd! I'd let my truck set with a blown motor before I put a Cummings in it. and if makes you feel better than go right a head and put your Cummings in,your truck all your doing is hurting yourself if you ever go to try and sell it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So your saying there are tons of 6.4L over 400k ?.. That it is easier to pull injectors on a 6.4L then a Cummins? you can pull a oil pan on Cummins with engine in truck, can't fix bed seal on ford in truck etc etc. Sounds like you have some anger issues with Cummins. I own both brands and the Cummins is easier to work on and has lest troubles. the ford has nicer body imho. I already have a Cummins swap truck and regular ford diesel trucks. I'm not looking to do another , the original thread starter asked for advice with his blown up '08 6.4L. I gave my advice with my expierance. no need to freak out at the guy..your opinion is fine mine is fine.. he can decide what he wants to do .. etc.. Its simple to get along. Its a web forum to help others etc.
Thanks,
Deo

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know there is a few with 400k with the original motor. but yes they have there problems and I'm not saying they don't but when you start calling them piles of ####. well it's irritating, and 99% of people's problems is there foot, and lack of maintenance. If you take care of your truck it'll give almost zero problems. change the oil every 3k miles along with your fuel filters and you'll eliminate 99% of your problems, and I have nothing against Cummings my boss has a 1400 horse pull truck I work on all the time thing is bad ass , but when you swap the motor out you might as well be the ginger child of the family in my own opinion, and yes you can do all the stuff in the cab of a dodge, but how often do you really have to change injectors on a 6.4.. yeah almost never so on that note go pound sand. and yes 6.0 is a different story. you can't really compare a 6.4 to a 12v with 400k on it they have only been out what 6 years. most people aren't gonna drive that Damn much with a brand new truck so at that point I don't understand what your getting at, but I will agree the Cummings is a good motor,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts