Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i know this probably isnt the best place to ask advise on a gas engine, but figured itd be worth a shot...

ive been eyeballing a 2008 f250 5.4 ex cab long bed 4x4 truck to purchase and use as a driver/light work truck for a bit while i hunt for the perfect 6.4...and to use strickly as a work truck after i get the 6.4 so i dont beat her up...

my question is, since ive heard mixed reviews on em...whats your take? I've heard they're a big step up from the old 5.4 that was in my 2000 ex cab long bed work truck...but just curious.

also, is 145kish too high of miles to mess with? a buddy at ford said no, but another few friends said they wouldnt touch ANYTHING gas with that high of miles...even though they dont know ford engines that well. the truck im looking at i can pick up incredibly cheap. way under kbb...it still books out for 18900 being as that it is *knock on wood* in immaculate condition inside and out, and seems to be mechanically so far...and i can pick it up for 10k cash with two sets of wheels...and around here im seeing them go for 15-17k privately and at dealers. The truck is a 2 owner(father and son), like i said immaculate condition, with flawless maintenance records at their local ford dealership...

so...what do ya think?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
oh...and if it matters, the trim is xlt. all options but leather, and wood grain on doors. some of the features i was surprised to find on an xlt...uplifter switches, factory brake controller, remote keyless, door keypad, pw, pl, pheated mirrors, power fold in mirrors...you get the idea...

·
STILL LEARNING
18,334 Posts
145k is not really that high of miles any more. Things are engineered to a lot further than they used to. I would say the truck will rot out before the engine goes.

As for the 08 5.4 vs a 2000
the 2000 had 250HP 350ft/lb/tq
the 2008 is 300HP 365 ft/lb/tq

50HP is quite a bit

And 10k for that truck is a deal

·
BrokeAss
841 Posts
I think the 5.4 got a bad rep just like the 6.0, the early ones had problems.
As strictly a work truck and not towing a lot it does fine. My dads has plenty of power for work, he never tows with it. Plows a lot and it doesn't have issues.
It's an 03 and still has only 50k miles, but it hasn't had any of the supposed 5.4 problems yet. It eats a starter every two years religiously though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats kinda what i was thinking. as for the wheels i spoke of. truck is currently running a leveling kit, and 22" KMC rock stars with 95% tread on all terrains and guy said hed throw in the stock wheels with brand new tires on em as well...

·
Registered
147 Posts
i would buy it... i could use a truck like that for almost same reason. cuz i love driving my superduty and would like to just use my diesel for towing and racing, while using a gas superduty to just use as a daily driver all year round and not cry if i scratch it lol.... i had an 06 crew cab with 5.4 and as off low end power it had tons but highway power is kinda dull

·
Built Not BOUGHT
93 Posts
Umm, 5.4 in a Super Duty usually means no no in my book but the new 3 valve 5.4 is nothing compared to the anemic 5.4 of the 99-04 SDs. The price is right, the mileage is nothing, and with what you need it for I say go for it. I wouldn't underestimate the longevity of the gas motors either. I've seen plenty of V10s go over 250k with the transmission giving out first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts