Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I've been looking at buying a 6.4L w/ 6spd manual, w/ 80-120k miles (2008 has 120k + 2009 has 80k).

After spending much time reading the great internet, I'm apprehensive about the 6.4L engine, however I know there are people out there that have bullet proofed these trucks for daily driving and I'd like to know what I'd need to fixed/modify/add to take a 2008-09 from a time-bomb into a reliable truck.

Look forward to seeing the costs and parts list associated with this idea of mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dpf delete, tuner, egr delete, head studs, cold air intake. Then you will have one sweet truck. That's all you need to make these things rip. Main thing, tuner and dpf delete and CAI. Looking at about 2200-2500 for those 3 things depending on what tuner/intake/ex. Options you choose. I run a spartan with the egr delete tunes but still have my egr, and I don't have head studs.i recommend Rudy's diesel for everything that's just my input. I have a heavy right foot. Trucks still running like a champ. You won't be disappointed

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the deletion of the EGR + DPF with addition of the studs cure the common issues associated with the 6.4L?
What hp/tq gains are associated with these mods? when do the manual transmissions usually fail (hp/tq).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine has been great...no issues

·
Registered
284 Posts
The above with a south bend clutch would be awesome. A couple of issues that worry me.personally with these trucks are the number of cracked pistons, and cracked blocks. I know the blocks generally seem to be due to excessive torque values when installing headstuds (also multiple reuse). The randomness of the cracked pistons is troubling. There are options available, but they aren't cheap. Google 6.4l cracked piston..........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mcc w Gearhead tunes. No limit intake and egr delete. Street Diesel dp w 4"/5" exhaust. Run that minimum be fine. If you wanna stud it awesome hit up Mike aka no limit for them also. May as well throw uppipes at it too if you stud and that in mind think about 6.0 manis. 500-550hp. Mainly keep up w maintenance! And yes clutch if you go that route.

·
Registered
875 Posts
bullet proof 6.4??? not really but for reliability install updated timing cover , mishimoto radiator, updated radiator hoses, IH pistons, updated hpfp harness 80k probably due for valve guides, rocker arms , lifters, and high pressure turbo. dpf egr delete is a must

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have 94k miles... DPF delete and H&S Mini Maxx Since about 40k.... Run the 300HD tune daily....

Only problems I have:
Oil Cooler is clogged: Cab off procedure to replace stock cooler... and they tend to re-clog shortly after.... So i am going to purchase an external cooler kit for $1330... doesn't require cab off.

I also have a 6" revtek lift kit on nitto 37's and the tires keep cupping... could be bad shocks... could be bad bushings.... Annoying as hell.

Otherwise love my truck.... tons of power.... almost 100k and still operates like brand new.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 94k miles... DPF delete and H&S Mini Maxx Since about 40k.... Run the 300HD tune daily....

Only problems I have:
Oil Cooler is clogged: Cab off procedure to replace stock cooler... and they tend to re-clog shortly after.... So i am going to purchase an external cooler kit for $1330... doesn't require cab off.

I also have a 6" revtek lift kit on nitto 37's and the tires keep cupping... could be bad shocks... could be bad bushings.... Annoying as hell.

Otherwise love my truck.... tons of power.... almost 100k and still operates like brand new.
What kit? Mine is clogged after I did both BD down pipes and the oil cooler cab on. Just put the Jack under the front two cab mounts. Anyways I need to bypass the oil cooler with an external kit. What is the best kit that’s costly effective? I have also read somewhere for a block off for the location but never a external oiler kit..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts