Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a couple of hard shifts on the way to work. When I left work it came out of gear going down the highway. Almost like you just put it in neutral. When I came to a stop I tried to go through the gears and nothing. I turned the engine off and cranked it back and it would go in gear for a 100 ft or so and come back out again. My truck is a 6.0 4x4 with 120,000 miles. I mainly drive to work and pull a cow trailer once a month. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
The first thing to do is check the fluid level. Low fluid can do this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I filled the trans back up. I cranked the truck up and it still wouldn't pull into gear so I let the truck warm up for about 15 mins then the truck went in gear. I verified the fluid level and went down the road. The shifts seem to take a little longer than normal to make but it was shifting and went into reverse also. I was going about 45 and wanted to test the down shift so I pressed on the pedal a little and when it went to down shift the same thing happened. Back to like it was in neutral. When I go from park to drive you can feel the truck move a little but it's not pulling

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fluid level was fine Mark but I drained and changed the filter. I filled up with new lv fluid

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
When you changed the filter did you get the grommet out? It is up where the filter fits into the trans. It doesn't come out with the filter, you have to remove it separately. If you left it in there it will cause the symptoms you have.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
Is the tow/haul light flashing? That would indicate codes have been stored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the solenoid A and ohm tested it and also put 12v on it. It read fine but when I put the voltage to it it didn't squirt any fluid out like on a video I watch. So I removed solenoid D and went through the same steps and it also didn't squirt the fluid out. So I removed a different solenoid that has 4 just alike in the pan and test it. This one squirted the fluid out. So I'm not sure of the next steps. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Former Ford Trans Engr.
3,084 Posts
I'd replace solenoid A. It's been sticking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts