Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read numerous posts on this forum and others via google. I have #5 and #8 as bad through the DTC reader of a Bully Dog Triple Pup reader. I purchased the truck four months ago (Sept) and the owner had already ordered a complete set of Motorcraft Glow Plugs and passed them to me when we settled the deal.

Between work and moving, I have not had time to attempt to install them. With the weather finally becoming cold, I am attempting this tomorrow morning. I do not have the "Stealership" tool to remove the harness plugs and have read even with the tool, sometimes the harness plugs still break. One post that I read, suggested taking a torch to warm the metal around the Glow Plug, to help soften/loosen up the o-ring. Reading that and the other posts, I am going to attempt this after the engine is warm vice cold iron.

Can anyone add suggestions or ideas? I've already seen the Ford .pdf of of explaining how to remove the glow plug and harness itself. I haven't posted much, but read, review, and study as much as I can to do my own work. Been worked over once too many by paying a mechanic or having the Dealership do work, only to redo it or take it back to be done correctly. Thanks much in advance... - Will

·
"resident smarty pants"
4,476 Posts
Personally, I would try a heat gun first (one slip w/ a butane torch might cost you some extra $$'s). I did see the tip on using the butane torch and thought it was a good one though. Lots of people liberally spray the harness w/ PowderBlast (or equivalent) around the glow plug before removing the harness. Some people have had success using a piece of wire:

Use a piece of 16 gauge wire to pull out the connector. There is a ring at the bottom of each connector, wrap the wire around it then yank the wire with a pair of pliers. The glow plug is 10mm, just remove and reinstall. Be sure to lube the harness o-ring w/ clean oil before re-installing.

Others have found the key to not breaking them was to be as gentle as possible and just work it back and forth.

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
Just replace it but thats me. IF you end up breaking it and not have a spare laying around your gonna have to figure out how to get one. Buy them set them aside so if you fail just rip them off.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys thanks for the quick response, especially on a Holiday night. We will see how it goes this morning, shortly.

Rescue250, what part of NOVA are you in? I'm south of the Courthouse area in Va Beach...

- Will

·
The Unseen Mod
4,126 Posts
1hr south of Dc, near Fredericksburg/Quantico Marine Corp Base.

Stafford Virginia. Will if you get your truck running we have a meet Jan 14th in Richmond.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it done today... Half in the daylight and the other after the sun went down. The passenger side wasn't too bad after removing the wheel and fender well. I let the truck cool down after getting lunch earlier, so the block was still warm. Using the wire wrap trick and pulling downward gently but not yanking. After removing the harness, the procedure went fairly quick removing/replacing each glow plug. Reinstalling went quick too. When I was ready for the driver's side, daylight was gone and the pain of pushing all of the Ford plastic securing "screws" tested my patience. Once these were removed from the fender well, out it came. With the brake lines, steering shaft, oil dipstick tube, and various fuel lines; it was tighter to work with each harness assembly to remove. Starting with #8, I slipped with the wire loom trick and broke part of the harness (plastic shell), but the wire was still intact. I used the same procedure as before, just harder with a smaller space to work with. Again, after the harness plugs were removed, replacing the glow plugs went quick. I have some photos of the passenger side I'll post for a reference point. I do not have any CEL lights after clearing the DTC's for the #5 and #8 glow plug DTC(s). Truck seems to start quicker, but the cold spell comes in tonight. Will check on price of a new harness, but it doesn't appear to be inoperable. With no daylight and my wife waiting to go to dinner, I didn't have time to perform the testing of the wiring harness. Maybe later this week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rescue, if you could send me more info for the 14th of Jan, we may try to make it up there. PM if you can and the truck is running. Waiting on some Archoil 9100 oil additive and 6100 fuel additive, since Rev-X is above my funds. Hopefully it is here this week, so I can see if what I have read, is really honest. - Will

·
Powerjoker.
71 Posts
I installed new harnesses on my truck and they were about $40ea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts