Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure If this is the right place to post this but here we go. I purchased a 2006 f350 6.0 that had catastrophic engine failure and is just not worth fixing. I don't really want to roll the dice on a used engine that I have no background from and wreckers are asking over $5000 for. I also own a 220,000 km 1994 7.3 ID I turbo that runs great but has a lot of rust and is only a regular cab. I feel that the 94 is mechanically very sound but just isn't worth restoring the body. I know I'm going to get a lot of why don't you do a Cummins conversion answers but I want to be different and I also have the 7.3 powertrain at my disposal. Does anyone know of anyone that has tried this type of conversion? I don't really need the 2006 for a towing truck basically just a drive around truck, I drive 2010 6.4 for my daily driver. I wonder if the Engine mounts off of a power stroke 7.3 super duty would work in the 2006 chassis with the 94 idi engine ? Also because it's mechanical it shouldn't be too hard to get the engine running once it's in the truck, just a lot of messing with wires to get gauges working. Any input on this would be appreciated. Long winded first post, thanks for taking the time to read :)

·
Registered
909 Posts
It would be quite the project. Ideally the SD 7.3 plates should work. But the wiring would be rough making the gauges work right

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wiring would definitely be the biggest hassle. Could do a dash plate and auto meter guages to simplify that part maybe? I paid 2500 for the 2006 and have the idi truck so it wouldn't be huge money on my part to invest. I was thinking if I go through with this project that maybe while the idi is out of the truck to stud the heads install new injectors and get an intake from idi performance to run the factory 6.0 intercooler.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Installing it would be the easy part. Wiring would be the hassle in my mind. If running auto may need a stand alone tranny controller.

What transmissions are we dealing with? 6 speeds don't bolt to the older IDI's easily. Auto I think would bolt OK. Would need the IDI torque convertor and flywheel. On engine mounts 7.3 powerstroke and 7.3/6.9 IDI I believe bolt to the frames the same. Not sure how the 6.0 engine mount locations compare to the 7.3's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My plan to keep it simple would be to use the factory zf5 spd out of the 94 in fact probably the factory tcase also. The 2006 is an auto right now but I think I will just find the pedal assembly out of a wrote off superduty for the clutch and run a hydraulic setup like the 94 uses from factory. Yes I also am a bit worried about the wiring, but I think once completed this would be a very unique project. I have not read about this combination anywhere else on the net, might be for a good reason but it kinda makes sense in my situation. Also I can sell the auto and possibly the tcase from the 2006 to pay for a few power mods on the 7.3

·
Registered
909 Posts
I think you are on track with the autometer gauge idea. A little work on the column to figure out what wires are ignition and whatnot and it wont be that bad. You will be into some fab work to get the zf cross member to fit right. Might be easier to mod the 5r110 one thats in it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess the biggest concern is if the motor mounts will bolt to the block and if the mounts are in the same spot as a 7.3 powerstroke on the 6.0s frame. Probably no way to verify this at all? Seeing as it has probably never been done. I think you are right about modding the 5r110 crossmember.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well if memory serves me right the frames are the same 7.3 to 6.0. Therefore the super duty frame plates for a 7.3 will bolt on in place of the 6.0 plates. Ford is cheap so odds are they are interchangeable. Especially being the 2003 mix year where you could get a 7.3 or a 6.0

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sounds like a cool swap to me. I would guess any gauges for the cluster that run through the computer would be dead, I'm wondering if you installed the 6.0 senders into the IDI if you would get some of them working.

I agree a custom gage cluster is probably in your future.

I would guess if you sold the 6.0 extra parts you might come close to getting the 6.0 truck body for free. If you do the swap keep us updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone know where to get 7.3 superduty engine mounts ? Need the block plates and the frame plates. Best to source used ? Or can they be bought aftermarket ?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Id be asking local wrecking yards and whatnot. They usually pull the engine and leave the plates. Might be had cheap

1 - 12 of 12 Posts