Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
06powerstroke4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first diesel I have owned as well as the first ford. I just purchased a 2006 f250 crew cab 6.0, mods include procomp lift, 37 procomp tires, edge power programmer, and lots of cosmetic upgrades. the truck has 40000 miles and from what I can tell has been really welll taken care of. What do I need to know about the truck. What problems should I look out for. I have heard a lot of good and bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
Welcome 1st thing I gotta say get rid of that bully dog that ad the 37's are gonna granade your tranny. I got mine built for around 5k not cheap. You can pretty much search anything and learn alot of stuff. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

P.S get a sct tuner!!!! Hands down best for the 6.0

·
06powerstroke4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1st thing I gotta say get rid of that bully dog that ad the 37's are gonna granade your tranny.

What should I get rid of??? And what is going to granade my tranny???

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
Edge tuners don't program anything for the transmission in these trucks. I'd take it off and get an SCT to help out on the power end with those tires.

Innovative Diesel Performance go there, they will set you up with an SCT, one of the best tune writers for the 6.0.

·
06powerstroke4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Edge programmer that came with the truck when I bought it is a deleted model but I can program the shift points in the truck as well as how hard the tranny shifts. It has a slide bar from soft stock shifts to harder race shifts as well as what rpm the truck shifts at. Is this what you are talking about? or does the sct programmer have other tranny functions?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Edge tuners don't program anything for the transmission in these trucks. I'd take it off and get an SCT to help out on the power end with those tires.

Innovative Diesel Performance go there, they will set you up with an SCT, one of the best tune writers for the 6.0.
Yeah and start saving for a tranny, your on borrowed time most likely, because you don't know how the last owner drove 'er.:eek:

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
The SCT will just shift better, hands down.

There is no comparison between the two.

·
06powerstroke4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The last owner bought the truck new and is in his late 60s and claims to have never been off road with the truck. So that part I am not worried about. But if I need to get ride of the edge programme I do not have a problem with that as well. As for power, the truck has plenty of power the way it is set up. I still have not figuered out why every one thinks my tranny will go. The way the truck is set up it does not drag the shifts. It shifts firm. The truck feels right. What am I missing that you guys see????

·
WOOOOO!!!!!
1,655 Posts
I'm not saying you'll need a tranny but its well known that the Edge programmers aren't the best for these trucks, especially if you open it up and run it hard once in awhile. With an SCT they also tune the transmission as well as the engine.

Another set of things I would do with the truck are delete the egr system and install a coolant filter. A lot of people stud these engines early also. I personally wouldn't stud the truck unless you run into a problem with the headgaskets. A lot of people run these tuned for 100k or even 200k miles with stock headbolts and gaskets. I'd also switch it to synthetic oil. If you have any questions just do research on here in the 6.0 tech section. There is a ton of useful information here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i had an edge also for my truck was just fine but when you go WOT it would sometimes stick in neutral and have trouble getting back down to 1st. the SCT is completely different and shifts at WOT without any problems and give me more power and all around better performing truck.

·
Stock Sucks!
330 Posts
I had an edge and switched to an sct with xstreet tune from innovative diesel trust me it really wakes up the truck. Also might wanna look into getting an egr delete if you dont already.

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
You got to look at how the tuner tunes the truck. Some just throw fuel at it and fool other parameters while a custom tuner like Gearhead, GoGo Diesel, Innovative Diesel all on an SCT programmer are going to get a Custom tune for your truck and custom shift points per tune. This is something you need. Also you will probably lift your heads pretty quick with that Edge. I recommend you selling it, and putting your money into an SCT and custom tuner. It is your truck and i wish you the best of luck.

·
06powerstroke4x4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, Thanks for the help, I just ordered the SCT programmer. In about a month I will buy the EGR delete sysytem and coolant filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 f350 all scans indicate pressures are all within spec and ficm voltage is at 48,starts rough runs rough dies within 1minute need help

·
Registered
93 Posts
My 2cents would be to tell you to properly flush the cooling system NOW and use Motorcraft gold coolant...many 6.0 problems start with degraded coolant...I'd do it even if it's been done previously....and I always recommend factory filters....enjoy the truck

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Hey OP.... I would definitely give that edge a launch. Do lots of reading... just about any question you have... has probably already been asked and answered.
As far as tuning.... get tunes from several and stick with the one that suits your driving style. Their all just a little different. I run an edge CTS along with some analog gauges to monitor things. As far as coolant goes.... I run an ELC coolant, along with a coolant filter. That's the Achilles heal of this motor.... a clogged oil cooler...
Properly maintained.... you should have a great truck.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a 2006 f350 king ranch has over 160,000 miles on it. I have rebuilt the injectors, rebuilt the ficm an now I have a problem with the truck. It will stay running for about ten minutes start running rough an then stall. I try starting it back up an it has a hard time starting back up. I've taken the bed of the truck to check the tank for trash an bad fuel an I got nothing so I am at a loss need help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EGR delete and head studs I would say are like the bare minimum if you're gonna add ANYTHING power wise to a 6.0L. Oil cooler and FICM are good idea if your wallet can handle it too. Far as tranny issues go, I haven't heard too much bad about the 5R110W although I have heard they're a definite improvement from the 4R100 and E4OD. I'd prefer stick shift either way, even in these newer trucks, but that's just me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey I have a 2006 f350 king ranch has over 160,000 miles on it. I have rebuilt the injectors, rebuilt the ficm an now I have a problem with the truck. It will stay running for about ten minutes start running rough an then stall. I try starting it back up an it has a hard time starting back up. I've taken the bed of the truck to check the tank for trash an bad fuel an I got nothing so I am at a loss need help.
You need to check the fuel pressure and hook a scanner up to it to see what your ipr is reading. 500psi minimum to start up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts