Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2006 6.0 Chip Question

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  FarmWithAFord 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum, forgive me if this has already been touched on a million times. I've gotten myself a great 2006 6.0 with only 50k on it. But, it's fully stock. I've been looking up a ton of stuff online as far as tuners and programmers go... and I've confused the hell out of myself. I'm not looking for something that's going to make me beat the guy next to me off the line, I just want something that will (Occassionally) roll coal, let me show off a little bit and hopefully improve some gas mileage in the meantime.

A lot of what I've been reading advises me to replace the head gaskets... Is this necessary? I baby the hell out of this truck, I keep it at or just above 2000 RPM at all times, I don't plan on ripping around town constantly.

All of this being said, what would you recommend for my style of driving? I do haul a few horses with it from time to time, but when I do it's only a small bumper pull two-horse trailer.

Oh, I do plan on doing a delete kit on it as well in the very near future... Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 ·
From what i've been reading ( personally new to the 6.0 myself )

If you start your truck even once, it needs headgaskets and studs,

Doing the preventive stuff first will help a ton, but Bulletproof oil cooler and EGR cooler will run you in the neighborhood of $4K,

I'm looking into the SCT X3 tuner myself, but you don't want to go to crazy with the tunes unless you've done a bunch of supporting mods.

That being said, A lot of people have had no issues with their headgaskets at 100,150K miles. I am personally pushing my luck on that same issue, as i just bought an Excursion with 130K but had been taken care of, and bulletproofed.

#3 ·
I don't agree with what tweaker mentioned about the head work. I personally would not do heads/gaskets/studs unless it needed it to be done. In my eyes more preventative parts would be the egr delete kit , coolant filtration kit , exhaust ( open it up a little bit ) .

As far as tunes, I would get an sct x3 ( as I have ) with custom tunes . You say you want to occasionally 'roll coal' , I'd look at Vivian from Quicktricks diesel .. Her tunes seem to be a bit smokier than the competitions. I'd suggest her tow tune for your style of driving

#4 ·
SCT with custom tunes is the only way to go imho. Eric from innovative has some really good tunes that are "stock headgaskets safe". I would leave the heads alone if they arent blown. I have an 05 with 245000 miles that other then an exhaust is bone stock and have had fewer problems with it then my 03 with all the mods listed in my signature

#5 ·
Some good advice here, first thing you really need to do is go to autozone and get u a scangauge 2 so you can monitor your truck. Then do the egr and oilcooler, exhaust, and then tune it with a sct.

#8 ·
Unless your pushing big HP, a 5 inch is only for the sound. I would recommend a 4 inch straight.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

#9 ·
Go with the EGR delete. The whole bulletproof thing isn't needed IMO. Do studs, EGR delete, exhaust, a tuner w/ custom tunes. The 5" straight is what I have and it sounds amazing. Also, some gauges wouldn't hurt

#13 ·
Go with the EGR delete. The whole bulletproof thing isn't needed IMO.
People who live in states where diesels are tested for emissions can't delete their EGR.

#10 ·
I would also do a 4" straight pipe. It's what I have now.. Love it. It also whistles more than a 5"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.