Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the page and I wanted to get some input. I have a 2005 F350 6.0 single cab. I am noticing some slight white smoke/haze that comes from my exhaust. It does it when it is warming up and every now and then once it’s driving and fully warm. I just recently bought the truck and was told by the previous owner that it was “running rich”. Not sure what that meant but the truck drives great and haven’t had any issues. If anyone can help out, I’d very much appreciate it.

205/110 injectors
EGR delete
Headstuds
68mm powermaxx turbo
AFE intake
SCT turner with custom tunes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi here I recently bought a 07 F350 6.0 and I have had the same problem and my truck lurches when u first take off I thought my fuel filters was plugged changed it and it did a little better but it’s still doin it and I get the same smoke with my truck sometimes we have looked it up and learned u need to cut the cat converter and crap off your exhaust and Check the injectors these trucks r really noted for eating injectore

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If there is any kind of smoke coming out of your exhaust, you need to figure out what is causing it, and to do that you use the ol' sniffer test. When it's hazing up, go back and smell the exhaust. If you forget when you first start it up, wait until it starts doing it while going down the road and pull over somewhere safe to do a quick sniff. Generally blueish-gray smoke is burning oil. Black smoke is fuel from the combustion stroke which didn't get a complete burn. Bright white smoke tends to be coolant, and white-ish to very light gray should be unburnt fuel from the exhaust stroke.

So, if you smell coolant, that is probably a blown EGR cooler. Park it nose down overnight and pull the EGR valve. If you see liquid pooled up in the intake, your cooler is bad. If not, then it's possibly a blown HG....though that's not likely because typically the exhaust gasses go into the cooling system and not the other way around. Shark, I included this one, even though you have an EGR delete, because others can benefit from the info.

Black smoke.....usually means there is a turbo issue; possibly needs cleaned, possibly worn out, maybe a bad seal on a CAC tube.....lots of possibilities.

Burning oil....bad rings or really really bad valve seals usually.

If you smell unburnt fuel, then there are several possibilities of what is wrong. Typically, it's a bad injector that is leaking fuel into the cylinder at all times. After combustion has completed, it's still pumping fuel in there, but the piston is pushing it out the exhaust, so you get the haze out the tailpipe. This can be from a broken tip, bad seals around the injector combined with a bad copper washer, or even bad internals. I have never encountered it myself, but I have read of others doing a cylinder contribution test to find the culprit. The cylinder which is providing more power is the one with the leaky injector usually. Another possibility is a cracked head. There can be cracks which allow fuel to escape into the exhaust port or into the cylinder.

These aren't all of the possibilities, but they are the usual suspects. Smell your exhaust and let us know what you find. I will say, though, that sometimes a little haze is normal. If there's just the slightest bit of excess fuel during combustion, it can emit a slight haze which isn't black, isn't quite gray, not quite white. So, if the exhaust smells normal, you may just be experiencing that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts