Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruising along just fine at 65 with the family in the truck then all the sudden, truck dies! Just all of the sudden like I wasn't giving it gas anymore. From what I'm reading it may be a HPOP issue. What's everyone think??? It's on the way to the local for garage now to be diagnosed in the morning.

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
My first guess would be the STC fitting. But we have too little info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't sweat the diagnoses you just don't have enough info for us to help

lets see what the shop says
Love your positive attitude! My dad was just telling me how there is no use worrying too much about it till we hear what the shop says. But...easier said then done! Lol

·
Big dumb *******
4,200 Posts
You mean it'll crank but not fire correct? The STC fitting mentione won't let it fire when hot. Usually, unless it really blew apart, once you let it cool down, it'll fire right up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I meant to say. I'll have to wait till tomorrow to see if it will fire for the garage. What causes the STC fitting to go bad? Also, why will it fire when cold, but not hot?

·
Jackleg Mechanic
881 Posts
The STC fitting is similar to an air hose coupling. The problem is that it has to hold up to 4000psi. When pressure builds the fitting wobbles. Eventually it wears itself out and opens up. Heat causes expansion allowed too much pressure to escape. Cool down allows contraction and pressure is maintained. There are three known weak points inside a 6.0L that will cause HPO failure. Since the STC was the first to fail on my truck that is my guess. I let off the pedal to exit the Interstate and she died. Cranked over good and strong but no start hot or cold.

·
Registered
301 Posts
If the sct fitting completely blew apart at 65 mph and caused the truck to die I am willing to bet it would have cracked the rear cover..... I would think you issue is probably ipr or ficm related.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
agreed why mess with it if they are there already

glad u got it sorted
Exactly what I thought. Especially with 2 kids, I don't have a whole lot of free time to work on it myself! Thanks for all of your help. Take a look at my post about CAC boots and let me know what you think!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts