Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Power Strokers, I need some help to figure out an issue I am having with my 2005 F250. While driving today I lost brakes. Pedal became very hard and I could barley stop by pushing as hard as I could. Once the issue started it never went back to normal. I had been having steering issues, hard to turn the wheel while stopped or just starting to go. The pump is making noise when trying to turn while stopped or moving slowly. The truck does have 37" tires on it with two steering stabilizer shocks. I bought the truck late last year. I was told that it had a new pump, new hydro boost, and a new steering box. I have not flushed the system nor do I know what fluid was originally put in it. I am planning to flush and replace the fluid with Mercon ATF but want to hear some of your input first.Thanks for any help that you can provide.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
welcome to PSN.
changing the fluid is a good start, but i don't think it is gonna help. having a "new steering pump" on it does not mean junk if junk parts were used.

37 inch tires do not mean much, what does effect steering is air pressure in the tires.
32 lbs air you ain't turning the wheel unless you are driving 40 mph down the road. 60-80 psi in the tires and you can two finger turn the wheel at a stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would suspect the pump has packed it in, the power brakes are supplied via the power steering pump, if you're having issues both with steering and braking that would be your culprit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts