Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have been reading alot of forums the past 10 months learning about the powerstroke and what to look for. To all that I have read I thank you.
Now I finally have a 2005 6.0 powerstroke. I bought it used and I was excited to purchase it in really didnt look it over like I should have. The truck has had head studs and there is a place over the egr valve and a "j" pipe where the egr cooler used to be. I have no CEL and the truck came with no programmer. How can this happen? Also how can I tell if the truck is running a tune or had the PCM flashed? I appreciate the help.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,825 Posts
welcome to the forum!
do you have any pending codes? earlier 6.0s were known for not having the CEL when deleting, but it would still store pending/soft codes. If they are there, then it could still be stock tuning

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
welcome to the forum!
do you have any pending codes? earlier 6.0s were known for not having the CEL when deleting, but it would still store pending/soft codes. If they are there, then it could still be stock tuning
The obd2 code reader I have didnt show any stored codes. Now I don't have the most expensive code rrade but it does the job. Could the previous owner (truck only had one previous owner) had the PCM flashed or something of that nature?

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,825 Posts
it's certainly possible that the prev owner had it tuned by a shop or something. that or maybe they lost the tuner and forgot to tell you... If it were locked, then you wouldn't be able to use a new tuner on it of course. I think Ford can do a total reset on your truck for like $50 or something, so i believe that would be the worst case if you wanted to load some tunes on it yourself in the future.
back to the original question... I'm not sure how to tell if a tune is already on it. Unless you have a tuner ready to plug up to it (which wouldn't work if its got a tune loaded already).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont have a tuner to plug into it as of now. I'm sure I'll have one in the future. I've only had the truck a week now so I am getting my monitor system set up so I can make sure my temps are ok before I go to tuning. I just wasn't sure how the CEL wasn't on if it had the egr delete done. I appreciate the time and information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts