Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bama Tilt
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cluster has decided that a few spot don't need illumination anymore. Since I'm too lazy to pull the cluster tonight; Are the cluster bulbs on a 2005 replaceable or does it use an element style like Chevrolet? If so what size bulbs are they? I want to replace with a different color led bulb to get rid of the green.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think I remember reading that the gauges are green on the back and you have to scrape it off or something. You can't just change the bulbs.

·
Bama Tilt
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I remember reading that the gauges are green on the back and you have to scrape it off or something. You can't just change the bulbs.
Yeah, my mustang had the same film. It wasn't hard to pull off though. Just curious if anyone has ever pulled their cluster to check so I don't have to pull mine just to look at the back of it.

·
Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
If you want other than green you will need an aftermarket gauge face panel. Otherwise the face plate with the gauge print needs to be removed and scraped. The bulbs are 714 if I recall correctly. Like $2 a pair at an auto store.

·
Bama Tilt
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've determined that they are 74 size bulbs, the tiny ones, so ill just pull it when I'm off again and be sure

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
127 Posts
74's, I got my dash in pieces on the kitchen counter right now lol

·
Bama Tilt
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
127 Posts
I tried blue LEDs but it still lit up green, have to get rid of the green overlay. If you get LEDs you can file the end of LEDs down a little so it's not a straight beam of light. I'm working with the owner of a local electronics store to come up with something do we can run any color LEDs

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm debating going with superbrightled.com bulbs or autolumination.com bulbs.

Auto Lumination at least offer's bright 6x 5630 Samsung based L.E.D. chips.. and a few more choices in color options (i.e. U.V. Black Light). I plan on tearing down the dashboard in my truck in the next couple of weeks to identify bulb length. Because I heard somewhere some bulbs on the dash are N.E.O. based. Rule of thumb.. make absolutely certain and then order.. don't order then find out. Process is dragged out longer than it was intended.

And if you looking to change Gauge Face design and have more style options than others offer. Checkout Black Cat Custom.. I plan on getting a new gauge face design from these guys.

Black Cat Custom Automotive - Ford F250 F350 Excursion Gauge Faces

Note: to achieve full L.E.D. color you've chosen.. all of the green film on the gauge faces needs to be removed. If you to leave the film on.. you need to utilize green L.E.D. bulbs. Either SMD or CREE L.E.D. bulbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 F350 Superduty Lariat with the factory white faced gauges its a 6.0 diesel and was wondering if anyone on here knows if I can use any color bulbs with the factory white dash lay that illuminates white dull light now currently. Can i use any color and it show up nice as color installed or will it light up green like everyone else's dash even though mine shows no green and is only dull white light? Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I did that on a Chevy. so I suppose it's possible on yours. To be sure, I would take it out, pull it apart so you can access the bulbs, and then try shining a different color light at the back side of the face. See what comes through. If it shows the color you want, you should be good to go. Just be sure to change only the ones which affect overall color. Putting a green light which illuminates the red needle won't make that needle light up much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is a green "film" that colors the gauge lights. Only white bulbs will work, unless you remove that green piece.
I don't recommend using leds on the indicator lights (like check engine, high beam etc) as leds are way to bright for those.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts